My happy boy!

sketchtone

This is mainly an update about how Reggie is doing for anyone who is wondering!

We went back to the vet to get his eyes checked again, and just as the vet came in the room, we found some stuck shed. He taught me how to flush Reg's eyes just incase it happened so I wouldn't have to bring him in if it happened again (I've had to get some shed out on my own already...) He is confused as I am on why Reggie is still so small. but not concerned since he's clear for parasites, has (in vets words) some of the best husbandry he's seen, and he's eating enough to gain quicker (in vet's opinion, I think he is too but he's still growing a lot, so I'm happy!)

Reggie has gained weight! He is officially 28 grams and absolutely gobbling down bugs left and right! I know how has only doubled in weight since I first posted, but he's growing slowly but surely and is WAY healthier weight for his size, just not for age yet. He is almost ten months old btw.

I've heard a bit of success using nightcrawlers, I'd obviously use well sourced ones, but I'm curious to see what anyone's thoughts on that would be. I know they're a no-no on the feeder list, but I assumed it was since I know people would take them from their backyard and feed their cham a potential ticking time bomb of parasites. I haven't been able to find one since I moved, so I couldn't ever grab one outside if I wanted!

I'm still a bit sad that he isn't big yet, since he's started growing a couple months late, but I'm glad he's healthy. I just wish that my care was right for him, since he's seeming to be a tad bit pickier than I've heard most chams are! He's really opinionated but also very tolerant of my and my sister's shenanigans.

One thing I'm curious to see is if he'll ever grow out of screen climbing! I know most chams don't climb upside down when it becomes too much effort, sut since he's growing slower, I wonder if it'll stick! Maybe if he's eased into being big, he'll just ease into giving more effort. Probably not but it'd be kinda cut if he did still at fully grown, I think!

I am so glad he's doing better with the UVB change and time, but I do wonder if he also might end up a bit smaller than the average male panther cham because of his stunted growth? If anyone who sees this has any experience with stunted/slowed growth, I'd love to hear your thoughts!

If anyone is wondering, Reginald looks about the size of a healthy 5 month old at 10 months old. He has stunted growth due to the pet shop's UVB being incorrect and my UVB being too high up. It's a bit embarrassing to admit, since I spent years researching chameleons before I got one and still made an uneducated mistake, but it's worth mentioning, since anyone can make that kind of mess up! Thank you to everyone who told me to lower it and get a solar meter! I bought a solarmeter a month ago and figured out that my UVB was safe for the height before, but he was not thriving. At the height it is now, he is thriving, however it is teetering between safe and unsafe levels, just at the screen height though, and he likes to climb under the UVB while doing his daily laps. He just wants that HIGH UVB I guess! Interesting find, IMO!

(I'm on my computer right now, so I don't have pictures of him, so I'll update with photos tomorrow/when I find my phone!)

Back
Top Bottom