My huge project - dream came true.

mikouba

Preview:

0d6T3NQ.jpg

Hey guys, so after one month of hard work (I have a full time job, so I was really busy with this project.) I have finally finished, what I have been thinking about since last summer. I have taken notes and great ideas from this forum (DIY feeder cup, DIY raindome) for months and decided to create something I wouldnt call freerange neither an enclosure. Its something between. :)

This all should provide a living jungle for my Furcifer pardalis ambilobe who is 6 months old and pretty shy. (He was really confused when I put him in :D )

More than a month ago, I created this thread: https://www.chameleonforums.com/where-do-i-get-construction-138557/

You wouldnt believe how lucky I got when I found, what I found in the store I work at. Its a bamboo shelf which was used to transport flower pots we sellin our store. I saw a great oportunity and decided to work with that. Thats how it all started... I am not going to describe every single process, since most of you can pretty much find out what I did from the pictures in the album I am going to link here. I tried to take pictures as often as I could.

If you have any question regarding the process of making this, feel free to ask. :)

Whole construction is 4 ft. wide, 2,6 ft. deep and 8,2 ft. tall and stands in window faced at south/south east.

Lights I have used are 70W Solar Raptor bulb and two 54W 6500k T5 HO bulbs.

It has DIY raindome and 3 other nozzles to provide water. (3 times a day)

Every plant has its own irrigation provided with this product (unfortunately I forgot to take pictures of this yet :(
http://www.gardena.com/int/water-management/holiday-watering/holiday-watering-set-363299/

I also used second one to misting and raindome system. I have yet to plug it in tomorrow. It worked at bathroom with all nozzles and should cover whole area.

The drainage is made of 1 mm pond foil glued to main frame which stands of two shelves. It has a hole and bucket inside of closet.

I used plenty of plants as you can see...

3 x Photos, Ficus benjamina, 2 x Ficus pumila, 3 x Schefflera (One is really huge), Soleirolia soleirolii, Nephrolepsis, Adiantum raddianum, Croton, 2 x Phalenopsis, alot of tillandsias and bromelias, Sphagnum moss, Moss itself.

The branches are cork bark and peeled off willow tree branches. (You cant imagine how much time it took me to do it...)

I dont think of any other information I could provide you with, so again guys, if you have any question, just ask it. I can also take pictures of anything else you would like to see.

So here is the whole album I have now: http://imgur.com/7bvmH2N

Cheers, Michael and Dino

Very freaking nice, i especially love the top.... will be very slick when plants start to mature.... what about heat? how are temps with so much space?

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

Temperatures are fine, I have digital thermometer which shows 93-94 °F on his potential heating spot and down to 73 at bottom and shadows.

What a wonderful enclosure. If I had that I could have a melleri.:D

I do have a question.

Are one of these a uvb? I have no idea what a Solar Raptor is.

What a wonderful enclosure. If I had that I could have a melleri.:D

I do have a question.

Are one of these a uvb? I have no idea what a Solar Raptor is.

It is UVB+Heat+Daylight bulb (all 3 in one) I have used this in my screen enclosure. Basically you only need this one lamp for uvb,heat and light.

You might call it "discharge tube", but its a lamp.

Very nice! I would love to have a semi-open enclosure like that, but Ferdinand would never stay put. You can't turn your back on him for a minute :)

Has he tried to climb over the glass panels on the bottom? My panthers would be trying it in a heart beat. ;)

Also, just curious, are the tops of the glass sanded or polished, so no one can accidentally get cut?

This has to be the most awesome thing I've ever seen when it comes to chameleon habitats! Your chameleon is really lucky to live in something like that. The only thing that I'm concerned with is keeping the humidity level up, and how to clean out the poop ; )

This is a super super nice thing you built. I love it.

But in less than two months I'm going to beat it. After almost 20 years the time has come for the return of the one reptile that means the most to me,

- and his home shall reflect that. :D

Wow!! Well done. What a beautiful space for your chameleon. The picture that you used for inspiration, used to be my favorite enclosure. Now, yours is my favorite. :D I would love for Pickle to have something a little more open. Please keep us updated on how your chameleon adjusts to it.

Very nice! I would love to have a semi-open enclosure like that, but Ferdinand would never stay put. You can't turn your back on him for a minute :)

Has he tried to climb over the glass panels on the bottom? My panthers would be trying it in a heart beat. ;)

The glass is 14 inches tall, unless he wants to jump from it or do anything crazy like sliding down while only holding his weight with his tail, it should be save. I trust the glass that it is going to discourage the chameleon of any attempts to touch it or stand on it.

Also, just curious, are the tops of the glass sanded or polished, so no one can accidentally get cut?

And to answer that, of course its polished. Not only for him, but for the safety of my own when I clean it, etc.

This has to be the most awesome thing I've ever seen when it comes to chameleon habitats! Your chameleon is really lucky to live in something like that. The only thing that I'm concerned with is keeping the humidity level up, and how to clean out the poop ; )

I hope he is going to appreciate this. So far he is stucked in his old ficus tree which he had in his screen enclosure. I cant wait for him to go around and explore. :)

To clean the dry poop, leaves and mess I am going to use a vacuum cleaner with low power so I dont suck the pebbles.

This is a super super nice thing you built. I love it.

But in less than two months I'm going to beat it. After almost 20 years the time has come for the return of the one reptile that means the most to me,

- and his home shall reflect that. :D

I cant wait for your outcome. :)

Wow!! Well done. What a beautiful space for your chameleon. The picture that you used for inspiration, used to be my favorite enclosure. Now, yours is my favorite. :D I would love for Pickle to have something a little more open. Please keep us updated on how your chameleon adjusts to it.

Thank you. It was a long run, but was worth it. ;) I am going to keep you updated how it goes.

Its going to be pretty hot in that window side in upcomming summer. I am probably going to cover the bottom half of window where the sun can shine through to adjust the temperatures right.

And I thought my enclosures I have created were top notch. Well man I have officially accepted second place. Absolutely gorgeous set up. Something to be very proud that is for sure.

Back
Top Bottom