My New Flap Necked Cham~

Mainevent

Hi ppl,

I am new to this forum and I live in Hong Kong.

After I've done a little researh about the habit of different types of cham, I decided to pet a flap necked cham. I think the humidity and temperature in HK are good enough for this type~

It costs HKD650 (USD83). Pls take a look the pics below and leave some comments, cheers~

dripping box on the top actually.
IMG_6159640x480.jpg

IMG_6152640x480.jpg

IMG_6147640x480.jpg

IMG_6170640x480.jpg
you can see there are some white spots on his/her skin, not sure if it is a big problem and how to get rid of them...
IMG_6146640x480.jpg

I think you need to loose the substrate/bark
loose the water bowl unless you empty it everyday
and get a taller enclosure

These things live in trees, remember.

Welcome to the forum! Flapnecks are really neat chameleons. As for the white bumps, I hope someone here can chime in and help you with identifying them. If not, a trip to the vet should be in order. Citizen Snips mentioned a few worthy changes to it's habitat. I'm wondering if it's enclosure is large enough. From the pics it looks too small, but that could be deceiving. What are the dimensions of the enclosure?
Enjoy the forum!

I'd agree with others here, it seems his enclosure is quite small (pics might be decieving?)

the white bumps do seem odd...i am also quite curious to know what they are...hope someone chimes in soon on that

100% agree lose the water dish. Where did you get the chameleon? Did they inform you of proper care procedures? If it was a pet store, they probably didnt know or told you the wrong things if they told you anything at all...

-you gotta mist regulary, they drink dripping water, not standing water.
-water bowl useless as a result
-you have 2 separate bulbs right? UVB 5.0 linear and a basking bulb
-chams generally do NOT need a nighttime basking bulb incase you have one
-adults are usually kept in 4 foot x 2 foot x 2 foot enclosures although babies can be kept smaller (also it should generally be screen)
-do you have the appropriate supplements?

I dont know about flapnecks but thats some general info to get you started :)

EvilLost: Flapnecks are quite a bit smaller than Veileds, so a 4x2x2 isn't necessary. I still would like to know what size enclosure this Flapneck is in. Where's the OP?

i am new to the chameleon hobby world however ive always thought that substrate wouldnt be bad. A chameleon would encounter it in its natural habitat (moss, Dirt) wouldnt they?

EvilLost: Flapnecks are quite a bit smaller than Veileds, so a 4x2x2 isn't necessary. I still would like to know what size enclosure this Flapneck is in. Where's the OP?

The enclosure size is 43cmx33cmx28cm (17"x13"x11")

I think I am getting a taller enclosure for him/her maybe several months later...cos I do think it is necessary when it grows bigger.

I set up the enclosure in my bathroom due to higher level of humidity (and also my gf's order), and I give flapneck an hour sunbathing and fresh air in the balcony once a week. I've done that twice till now and I found that some wind blowing and sunbathing really simulate its appetite~

moreover, thank for Citizen Snips advise, I removed all the substrate today and replace with the carpet as attached pic below~

P.S. what's OP?

Attachments

• IMG_6181480x640.jpg
    IMG_6181480x640.jpg
    201.7 KB · Views: 144
I set up the enclosure in my bathroom due to higher level of humidity (and also my gf's order), and I give flapneck an hour sunbathing and fresh air in the balcony once a week. I've done that twice till now and I found that some wind blowing and sunbathing really simulate its appetite

u say u let it sunbath once a week, it looks like u have lights for ur enclosure, but what kind of lights are they?

u say u let it sunbath once a week, it looks like u have lights for ur enclosure, but what kind of lights are they?

5.0 UVB 26W~:)

dun have basking light at this moment, because it's hot enough in Hong Kong summer time.

Looks good, welcome to the forum but I also never kept a Flapneck so I've got nothing helpful to say - sounds like you're on top of it though, good luck :)

Back
Top Bottom