My veiled chameleons nail came of help!

Jimthechameleon

image.jpg
So I have a veiled chameleon (Jim Morrison ) who lost his nail I was cleaning out his enclosure about 2 days ago and noticed he was missing a nail I quickly got scared and worried so I let him come to me so I could hold him a littlecloser to examine it and I'm not sure if it's infected healing or what but I did put a bit of ointment to help it cause I was really worried and I'm not sure when he lost it or how long he's been like that until I noticed it he doesn't seembothered by it but I don't wanna take any chances it looks normaland looks like a baby cut but also has like a brown/blackish color around that's scaring me don't want it to get infected and all that so any feed back on what I could do and not or any help on how I can help my guy I'm really worried!!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 210
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 229
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 167
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 177
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    273 KB · Views: 179
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 134
Not much you can do about it I'm afraid they don't grow back. You will just have to find a way too keep him off the screen so he don't snag them, or replace your screen with one with larger holes. Some use a layer of something in-between them and the screen that they can crawl on instead of the screen.

i would honestly give his cage a good cleaning/disinfecting to avoid the wound getting infected (and as said above consider getting larger screen to avoid a repeat) and apply some polysporin to the wound daily. Keep a very close eye on it and if you notice it's not healing properly immediately see a vet as infection can quickly spread into the blood.

It happens. As long as the toe itself isn't swollen its probably not infected. Putting an antibiotic topical on the scab is fine. Just keep an eye on the toe. Eventually the scab will fall off as it heals. The claw will most likely not grow back if the nailbed has been damaged. If the toe swells and he can't bend it then you may need a vet to prescribe a systemic antibiotic.

Back
Top Bottom