need advice on feeding my cham

I have an ostulent chameleon. He seems to have a stunted tongue. I have noticed it doesn't come out nearly as long as my previous Jackson, or veiled's. So he prefers me with hand feeding him.
I was able to trick the wife and feed him Dubais' for about 3 months til she googled it one day! Damn internet! I actually liked my Dubai colony, easy to maintain and cheap. Wife wanted me to go back to crickets, I cant stand having crickets in my house for the left overs that he doesn't eat that chirp and he cant catch them with his tongue unless they're within a couple inches of his head.( He also likes to jump down in their enclosure and what he doesn't eat he steps all over and kills)
I went with superwoms (here recently) and started dusting them. In the past I noticed that my Veiled's started getting small calcium deposits under the skin. (or what it looked like) The vet that I had remove a few off of my Vieled gave me a trophy from the find and the bill. The animal didn't make it from that stress afterwards and died. I thought maybe this time around I could retry Superworms but mix up the different dusting formulas, supplement, D3, cal no D3.(as well as lighting)

My question for you all is this- I am trying to give the maximum vitamin value for my superworms without having to dust and considered putting goldfish flakes in their container for burrowing and food (after all it is a worm). I noticed a lot of vitamins in the flakes. Is this such a bad idea ? If so, can you suggest a non messy feed for superworms or something else that's a good nutritional value that I can breed myself to keep from pet stores gouging me ?

I went back thru and read the MBD thread and it looks like when I got the animal for what I thought was a "steal" at a show he may have had MBD. I noticed that his back legs have a lot of strength but his front ones not so much. This might be why he fell so much after I bought him. At first I thought he was just clumsy but then I had a "duh" moment and thought that cant be right for a chameleon, something must be wrong. Luckily he has made it through the winter, theyre always had in southern Indiana. Every chance I get I put him outside when we have sun as well as his proper lights on top the cage 1 (uvb 5.0 and 2 heat bulbs) He has a passion for climbing up for awhile then goes down in the bottom of the cage and sacks out when the lights go out.
I bought a larger bird cage that would protect him outside from predators and allow him maximum amount of unfiltered sunlight when possible. My previous Veiled attacked and ate part of a humming bird. He just went thru another shed and allowed me to feed him about 10 superworms 2 days ago.

I make a mix of shredded turnip greens, mustard greens, bok choy, bee pollen, collard greens, and I use some orange to provide the juice freeze it so it don't go to waste. Put that in with some fresh carrots pieces for hydration. They tend to eat the carrots more but they do seem to go through the chum as I call it. I own a Jackson who doesn't eat as much as most other chams, and she is the only one I have so I just keep about 25 worms on hand at a time. If you have a bigger colony that would eat all your veggies I would go with fresh. That's what I do seems to work for me. :)

Please post a photo of the chameleon.

Tongue issues can be from imbalance in nutrients, infection, injury or even dehydration. We need more information to be sure.

Back
Top Bottom