Need advice please

JlaPinska

My cham is in a regular 4x4x4 mesh cage but my cats have tried climbing it, leaving large gashes. Is there any way to patch this?

If not, would it be okay to build a chicken wire cage? What are the do's and the don'ts of that and will it effect the lighting?

I need help i'm not sure what to do and i'm not made of money either lol

The only quick fix i can think of, is you go to lowes or home depot, and you buy a roll of screening. And zip tie the holes and cut whats needed. Its not a good fix but its the quickest.

Definitely need to make sure the cats don't climb it again in case you haven't already. It can cause serious problems in multiple ways with your cham. Won't go through all of them unless you need it but I agree buy a roll of screening, I strongly recommend a heavier galvinized wire screening and buy tin snips. It's a bit pricier but it will fix the problem and you have less worry for tearing etc in case anything else happens. If you want to make your own cage you can do your own demensions and go larger but also make it fit your needs (always nice) but I still recommend galvanized wire with smaller holes, even if your cats climb that without you being there to be able to correct it, they won't likely be able to tear it unless they have steel for claws.

Most screen cages are little more than window screen. Utube has videos on how to replace the entire screen. If you aren't handy then places that fix window screens can do it. Just make sure you/they use the right material.

Make sure not to use fiberglass screen. Crickets can (and will) eat holes in it. As for fixing the enclosure, the cat issue will need to be fixed first.

The only quick fix i can think of, is you go to lowes or home depot, and you buy a roll of screening. And zip tie the holes and cut whats needed. Its not a good fix but its the quickest.
You could also stitch the slits closed with monofilament fishing line as a temporary fix (and it wouldn't look quite so obvious). But the biggest thing is to get the cats away from the cage!

the thing is the cats are doing it at night when we are asleep so there isnt nything i can do about it.

we are really wanting to just rebuild the entire cage. will chicken wire work or is there a smaller wire you recommend? i dont want to go back to mesh or screen because it tears so easily when im trying to mount things inside the cage

edited to say they actually only got up there twice that i know of, but still the damage is done

Last edited:
the thing is the cats are doing it at night when we are asleep so there isnt nything i can do about it.

we are really wanting to just rebuild the entire cage. will chicken wire work or is there a smaller wire you recommend?

Is he in a room you can just shut the door so the cats can't get at it?

Chicken wire can work, but I recommend finding a way to get supports on like... the center along with the edges. I would go for like an X shape. Chicken wire is really bad about sinking and deforming if weight is put on it without enough support or too regularly.

Chicken wire over regular aluminum screen might help, but consider building a stand for the cage that is not accessible to the cats.

Is he in a room you can just shut the door so the cats can't get at it?

No his cage is on main display in the kitchen, we live in a small house, there's no where else to put him, and no way to keep the cats away. we have had him for 2 years now and they only are just now showing interest. mainly they just want to be up there cause its up high as theyve been climbing on top of my fridge too and knocking things off of it

Chicken wire over regular aluminum screen might help, but consider building a stand for the cage that is not accessible to the cats.

i wouldnt use both because id be afraid it would block out too much light from his lamps. we are literally just going to rebuild it without mesh. its just too flimsy. it tore in every spot where i tied vines to it. so there's holes everywhere. i also dont know what you mean how would i make it not accessible to the cats? they are smart lol

Chicken wire can work, but I recommend finding a way to get supports on like... the center along with the edges. I would go for like an X shape. Chicken wire is really bad about sinking and deforming if weight is put on it without enough support or too regularly.

yesh like an X shape on 3 sides except the front which would be the door. with a wood frame around the top it should be able to support the two lamps with no problem

My cat cannot climb on the stand for my cage. If the lights are on the top, use aluminum screen [not vinyl mesh] on all sides and top, then put chicken wire on the sides.

Hardware cloth might be better for what you are thinking of doing. It has 1/4 in squares and is sturdier than chicken wire. You might even be able to find a coated variety. Small feeders would still get out so you should consider it over screen as WAMBO suggested.

Back
Top Bottom