Need help breeding

Kingtray

I have a 5-6 month old male thats in the same cage as my 8 month old female and they get along pretty well. The male drops sperm plugs every month, I want to know what can do to get them to mate.

First, get them in seperate cages. Next, go do a lot of research before you even consider breeding. You should not be breeding if you do not even know how to properly house the animals.

First, get them in seperate cages. Next, go do a lot of research before you even consider breeding. You should not be breeding if you do not even know how to properly house the animals.
I know how to properly house the animal, since being with the male my female has never shown any stressful colors and her mood is the same. They been in the same enclosure for 3 months successfully. I have a 100 gallon reptarium.

3 months makes you an expert? Let's see if you can find one reputable breeder on this forum to agree that you are keeping them properly. Just. One......

3 months makes you an expert? Let's see if you can find one reputable breeder on this forum to agree that you are keeping them properly. Just. One......
I never said I was an expert. But their still Alive and HEALTHY eating and drinking regularly whats the big deal. I asked for breeding help not criticism. So if your not going to help please don't reply. Enjoy your night.

First, What species of chameleon do you have?

Second, regardless of the species, a female should not be bred before she is at least a year old. This is so her body has time to finish growing before going through the stress of making fertile eggs. There is a big difference in fertile eggs and infertile eggs and the fertile ones are harder to lay. There can be problems from being bred too young

Third. Keeping a female with a male is not recommended.. Being around a male could stimulate her to make eggs before her body is ready.

Even though it may look like that are best buds, remember chameleons are solitary creatures. They can experience low level stress which can lead to sickness and weaken immune system in the long run.

Also keeping them separate and only putting them together to breed would give you more control on knowing when they mated. I don't suppose you watch the cage 24 hours.

Bottom line is your female is too young to breed.. you male is pretty young as well and may not even want to breed at this point anyway.

Females should not be bred until at least 12-14 months old. Preferably the latter. Each and every egg production cycle will bring her closer to a death. Therefore, thought needs to go into whether you want a breeder or a pet. The male should be at least one year old, although the physical duress is not as strong. If he does not know what he is doing, she may injure him or vice versa. They should could be seperate unless in a green house sized enclosure. The female should already have a laying bin at 8 months. Get her outdoors every chance you have for uvb, because manmade uvb really isn't meant for breeding females.

I'm not an expert but I've done my home work and I do think they should be housed separate and you should wait until she's ready. There's plenty of signs to look for and things you can do to stimulate them though if you look online and read about it. I also must say that you are not the first to house them together unfortunately, from my understanding there are at least 2 pet stores in the PNW that house 1 male and 1 female together. It will stress them out though even if they dont show it. I think Dez and junglefries gave some good information and I'd agree. To keep this going for you... May I ask why you are considering breeding? The answer to that question will help determine the correct answer I guess.

I'm assuming they're either panthers or yemens.
Just to add to what everyone else is saying, a female can breed multiple times a year but you don't really want her to more than once or twice it will take it's toll on her. If she is kept with a male all the time you won't be able to control the mating and she'll constantly be producing and laying eggs.

You don't want the feamle to produce infertile eggs either when she's resting from being bred, so most keepers will keep them at a lower temperature to the males and limit their food intake this reduces the change of in infertile clutch greatly.

This is assuming they are panther or yemen chameleons. Most chams shouldn't be housed together but I believe there are a few species that can but I'm unsure.

Back
Top Bottom