Need info ASAP on microchiping python

I need info ASAP on where I need to microchip my ball python. I have heard a few different spots but I need to know EXACTLY where I need to place it.

Where do you put it on a snake, just out of curiosity? I've never heard of this but I like the concept very much, especially since snakes are pretty excellent at escaping from cages unless you've really got them locked down.

You may think you know what you're doing but we have found microchips lodged in the spinal column, in lungs, etc. of several species of animals, including dogs because people think it's no big deal. Please be careful...I don't see why this microchipping can't wait until tomorrow.

I want to microchip her because it is a good thing to do especially if she gets loose somehow. I think it should be mandatory for all snakes over 4 ft so authorities can catch the SOB's who release their animals into the wild or abandon them. I am guessing the people who got the chip stuck in the spinal column and organs were complete dolts with no veterinary background or knowledge of anatomy. I am very well capable of microchipping an animal.

I want to microchip her because it is a good thing to do especially if she gets loose somehow. I think it should be mandatory for all snakes over 4 ft so authorities can catch the SOB's who release their animals into the wild or abandon them. I am guessing the people who got the chip stuck in the spinal column and organs were complete dolts with no veterinary background or knowledge of anatomy. I am very well capable of microchipping an animal.

Ok let's assume you do know what you are doing. how is it any good to microchip the snake if the chip isn't registered? Who can track it? Even when a litter of puppies is born a vet is paid to chip them. Are you saying you will risk your animal instead of paying a professional? How very sad. jmo

Please don't make me suffer, hearing about it & worrying for the animal if you lose this one. As you did molly, that pretty much broke my heart. Sorry but that is just how I feel. I do worry about all animals and I am not even a snake person.

how is it any good to microchip the snake if the chip isn't registered? Who can track it?

You can buy the microchip reader. And that is how you have it registered. But that thing is expensive. You scan the chip area after inserting it. Then it brings up a number. And you call the company with the # and they register it. But a lot of people dont relize that you have to have the reader too.

You can buy the microchip reader. And that is how you have it registered. But that thing is expensive. You scan the chip area after inserting it. Then it brings up a number. And you call the company with the # and they register it. But a lot of people dont relize that you have to have the reader too.

No actually the chip already has a number that is registered to it that is written on a tag and on stickers in the microchip packet. All you have to do is put the chip in and then fill out the paperwork for homeagain. You see people scanning the chip first to make sure it is the right one because there can always be junk ones without a microchip or with the wrong number. I already have an account so I just have to give her name and chip # and she is all set to go. But to register per pet for the first time is $20, though I only pay $5 from veterinary discount. I have seen and chipped many animals and have never herd of any issues if done correctly. It is the law in a lot of places to have constrictors chipped and has help in located owners. I stand by chipping 100%. Better safe than sorry.

Last edited:
Ok let's assume you do know what you are doing. how is it any good to microchip the snake if the chip isn't registered? Who can track it? Even when a litter of puppies is born a vet is paid to chip them. Are you saying you will risk your animal instead of paying a professional? How very sad. jmo

Please don't make me suffer, hearing about it & worrying for the animal if you lose this one. As you did molly, that pretty much broke my heart. Sorry but that is just how I feel. I do worry about all animals and I am not even a snake person.

Molly was a very different story, you know that. Chipping is done all over the world all the time and is very safe when done right. The only way to do it wrong is if you don't know what the hell your doing and just jab them or don't go in at the appropriate angle. It is a subcutanious injection and therefor sits right below the skin, that's it.

This thread was just to see if an experienced constrictor person knew where the chip is supposed to go and I guess no one is going to respond so please stop assinuating I am a bad owner for microchipping my pet and close this thread.

Oh, thats right I forgot about Homeagain.

This thread was just to see if an experienced constrictor person knew where the chip is supposed to go and I guess no one is going to respond so please stop assinuating I am a bad owner for microchipping my pet and close this thread.

But you said you have experiance chipping. So why are you asking how? I dont think you are a bad owner. I agree with chipping 100%. But always triple check your enclosers to make sure the use of a chip is never needed. Just my 2 cents.

Oh, thats right I forgot about Homeagain.

But you said you have experiance chipping. So why are you asking how? I dont think you are a bad owner. I agree with chipping 100%. But always triple check your enclosers to make sure the use of a chip is never needed. Just my 2 cents.

no no not how where :) I have heard that fish and game wants the chip to be placed in a certain spot on the snake but I have heard 1 to 1 1/2 ft from the head and 1 to 1 1/2 ft from the tail. I am going to place it about 1 ft from the head on her side though because it seems like the safest place looking at the anatomy.

Oh,;). Yeah I would think to do it behind the head. Just because who ever finds it will most likley treat him like a dog and scan the back of the "neck" area. Becuse Im sure our animal control doesnt have much skill to know where the chip should/would be. So that would be the area I would look first too.

Also, if Justjumpit keep assuring us that she is familiar with the procedure, then we have to believe her. I don't have any formal medical training but I've volunteered at enough vet clinics for enough years that I would also feel comfortable performing small things too. A couple people have already recommended she go to a professional, but if she says she is capable then we can't keep going on about it.

Edit, never mind lol As I was typing my question about where you inject it was answered.

Just so you know too that just because the microchip is inserted into the back of the neck it can and will most likely move itself. I work for a vet and we microchip every day and we have to scan the animal all over because most microchips move. My dogs are microchipped and my oldest Chihuahua's microchip moved all the way around to her belly:eek:

Just so you know too that just because the microchip is inserted into the back of the neck it can and will most likely move itself. I work for a vet and we microchip every day and we have to scan the animal all over because most microchips move. My dogs are microchipped and my oldest Chihuahua's microchip moved all the way around to her belly:eek:

Yeah they do which is a pain because the humane society I also work at only scan's their shoulder region and I always give them crap about it lol. When I scan I do it all over.

Back
Top Bottom