Needle went in too far?!?

Hadeesh

So I am freaking out because I was trying to give my Jax a shot of antibiotic that the vet perscribed by injecting it underneath the skin on his upper back, and he moved around and the needle went in more straight than at an angle. The needle itself is about a half inch long, but it went in almost all the way. I am worried I might have hit a lung or something. He seems to be doing alright at the moment but I don't know if he is actually ok or not. I am seriously about to cry I am so worried. I am just not sure what to do.

Chameleon Info:

Your Chameleon - Jacksons, Male, 1 Year Old. I have had him for about 6 months.

Handling - I handle him only when necessary. I.e. cleaning, to give medicne

Feeding - I feed him 4-6 Dubia Roaches a day. I gutload them with chicken feed.
Supplements - I dust the dubias with Exo-Terra calcium every other day and a multivitamin once a month.

Watering - I mist a couple times a day for about 30 seconds at a time. I also have a drip system. I see him drinking every now and then, but I tend to leave the room after I mist.

Fecal Description - Normal feces, normal urates. Has been tested for parasites and is currently being treated.

History - N/A

Cage Info:
Cage Type - 1/2 Inch Homemade Screen cage. 3ftx2.5ftx2ft
Lighting - Two heat lamps to switch back and forth from as needed, and a uvb strip light.

Temperature - Top Temp ~82 Degrees. Bottom Temp ~70 Degrees. Measured by two analog thermometers.

Humidity - Humidity ~65-70%
I use a fogger.

Plants - No live plants.

Placement - Cage is in my room. The highest point from the floor is 4 feet.

Location - Washington State.

Oh and no medicine came out after the needle went in, I was too busy freaking out to push the plunger.

You are probably fine, although I can understand the concern. I am not a vet, but it seems a little odd that you give him his antibiotics via injection. I would think that oral antibiotics could treat his infection with less risk and stress, but then, I am not a vet. Maybe one of them on here will comment more on this.

Is he suffering from a respiratory infection? I have found these to be much more common with the use of foggers and am just curious.

I would not gut load with chicken feed. It depends on what you are using for chicken feed, but the commercially available varieties are not that healthy for your chameleons. I would use Bug Buffet or Bug Burger instead. They have worked well for me.

He just gave me them as a precaution if he has any thing else going on in him besides the parasite, only to be giving once every 72 hours. Any infection he may have is in the mouth. The main thing he gave me was an antiparasitic, which is for every day for two weeks.

And thanks you for the gut load information, I will definitely look into it.

If you can show a picture, I could tell you which organ or tissue you've probably hit (or you take a look at this to get an idea). Chameleons' skin is quite thin, so a needle which has found its way between two ribs inside the body can hurt the animal, of cause. A needle which only "scratched" along over the ribs won't have damaged organs.

But to pacify you a litte: Most organ tissues adhere quickly after getting injured with wound sizes like those caused by an average needle gauge (and some organs simply draw aside). But it depends on which organ you actually hit and how much the needle was moved sticking inside the body (more movement - higher chance of having hit an organ). Another point ist the active agent and dosage of the medication given, and how much was injected accidentally while inside the body and not under skin. I would definitely watch the chameleon during the next hours, and visit your reptile vet soon to let him check everything's ok.

Antibiotics can be given per os or as injections into muscle or subcutaneous to name only three ways for systemic administration. Usually one decides the "right way" for a patient depending on sickness, condition of the animal, background informations, species, cooperativeness of the patient itself, skills of the patient owner, used active agent and so on. There's no perfect way for every single patient, so medication administration can always change from one to the other.

when I teach my clients to give ceftazidime (Fortaz), I train them to give it in the front triceps or biceps, and swap legs for each injection. that antibiotic is only available as an injectable. it's fine if some goes in the actual muscles of the arm while some will be absorbed SQ as well.

stay away from the entire thorax; it's not necessary and (obviously) can be much more dangerous in inexperienced hands. just use the forearms.

you did not say what parasite he has, I assume it's coccidia or giardia based on your lengthy treatment?

o-

I can't say exactly where I hit, but it was more toward the upper front of his back. I talked to a vet on here and she said it probably only found its way into an empty cavity in his body, which seems to be the case because he seems to be ok today. And also, none of the medication was injected, for I immediately took out the needle when as soon as it when in.

If you can show a picture, I could tell you which organ or tissue you've probably hit (or you take a look at this to get an idea). Chameleons' skin is quite thin, so a needle which has found its way between two ribs inside the body can hurt the animal, of cause. A needle which only "scratched" along over the ribs won't have damaged organs.

But to pacify you a litte: Most organ tissues adhere quickly after getting injured with wound sizes like those caused by an average needle gauge (and some organs simply draw aside). But it depends on which organ you actually hit and how much the needle was moved sticking inside the body (more movement - higher chance of having hit an organ). Another point ist the active agent and dosage of the medication given, and how much was injected accidentally while inside the body and not under skin. I would definitely watch the chameleon during the next hours, and visit your reptile vet soon to let him check everything's ok.

Antibiotics can be given per os or as injections into muscle or subcutaneous to name only three ways for systemic administration. Usually one decides the "right way" for a patient depending on sickness, condition of the animal, background informations, species, cooperativeness of the patient itself, skills of the patient owner, used active agent and so on. There's no perfect way for every single patient, so medication administration can always change from one to the other.

Yes, I will start to do it this way. I imagine my vet told me to do it in the back because it is a bigger area for me to get, but I'd rather take my chances with a leg. And it is actually both I believe. I remember it being two different kinds, I just can't remember which (I have a terrible memory)

when I teach my clients to give ceftazidime (Fortaz), I train them to give it in the front triceps or biceps, and swap legs for each injection. that antibiotic is only available as an injectable. it's fine if some goes in the actual muscles of the arm while some will be absorbed SQ as well.

stay away from the entire thorax; it's not necessary and (obviously) can be much more dangerous in inexperienced hands. just use the forearms.

you did not say what parasite he has, I assume it's coccidia or giardia based on your lengthy treatment?

o-

Back
Top Bottom