new cage build

andy123

right well im planning on making bob a new large cage natural setup so its a stunning display cage of that looking like a jungle

the cage is going to be
4ft long
4ft tall
20-24" wide

i could really do with a list of plants that im able to put in there im looking for some tallish ones and some that are small that will grow to be big and also some that just add to the jungle effect like mosses would :p

does anyone know where theres a full list of any plants i can use

If you want it jungle-y I would just make a Pygmy cage. It's hard to make it look jungle-y without using stuff that he can't have...

thanks guys :D and yes i know its easier to do a pygmy cage but im gonna stick to what i said and im gonna give it a damn good shot, why should pygmy's have all the fun a veiled could have with abit more effort :D

hey andy, i have built a cage in similar to these dimensions. it was 2 deep, 3 wide, 4 tall. heres a pic
c-ViewAdLargeImage
it was the same thing, but in all honesty, it isnt worth it. there is so much room for just one cham, it is harder to spot clean, and the fact that the forums vote no against substrate doesnt realy give off a natural jungle theme lol, but more of an exotic patio, in the pic i posted, there is substrate, and a container with a fogger in it. this is when i first joined the thread and went purely on esthetics. saftey first though now. but you may use my design for any ideas

schefflera aboricolas have a toxicity like any other plant. if eatin in massive amounts, the plant should be avoided. or hang some fresh lettuce, collards or dandelion from the top of the cage. the toxicity that worries me most is contact of the sticky stuff inside the plant if stems are broken off, contact in the eyes could be potential harm, but this is a scenerio that hardly happens. s. aboricolas have been used excessivly by keepers and will always be a cham cage favorite. ficus benjimina has the same risks too along with pothos. also cham cage favorites. a plany commonly used as well that is completely harmless with no toxicity is hibiscus (tree, bush, perenial) can be consumed as much as possible with no effects, but are hard to keep indoors.

this is all very well but my chameleon is a big lad, and is hand fed so doesnt get the opportunity to eat off the floor the space will do him good as his cages have always been too small for him so extra room will be good

ive always had no luck with live plants they all seem to dry out and die so im going to try my best to get this live and running, im not having any water system as his used to me spraying him with one of those weed killer sprayers which give a good mist and before anyone asks its never had anything in it apart from water!

this is all very well but my chameleon is a big lad, and is hand fed so doesnt get the opportunity to eat off the floor the space will do him good as his cages have always been too small for him so extra room will be good

ive always had no luck with live plants they all seem to dry out and die so im going to try my best to get this live and running, im not having any water system as his used to me spraying him with one of those weed killer sprayers which give a good mist and before anyone asks its never had anything in it apart from water!

for bigger cages like this, and from experience before, you are going to get extreamly tired of hand spraying a cage that big. you need to mist the whole thing down to get your humidity levels up and stay up for a little bit. i suggest you do get an automisting system. as far as live plants dying, common chameleon safe plants are relatively easy to keep up, you just need a 6500k light along with your uvb light, and water the plants once a week

There are two types of Schefflera - Arboricola (the safe one) and Actinophylla which is toxic. They look quite similar though. Amy has eaten plenty of her Arboricola when she was tiny. Ficus are nice and busy, but I keep them alive!

the sprayers are actually really good within a minute his cage at the minute looks like a rain forest with it all dripping, so im not too fussed with that and thanks for that about the bulb :) our house is pretty bright as it is with all the bulbs so im hoping that helps :)

Back
Top Bottom