New cage soon?

Veild Cham Owner

Avid Member
My 3 month old male Veiled Chameleon has been growing so fast lately!! He is starting to look a little small for cage. His current cage is a 12in x 12in x 18in (base x width x height) screen enclosure. My dad said it can wait until by day (may) but i think he will be so squished in there by then!! When are their normal growth spurts and when do u think i should get a new cage? ( that one of him next to the ruler isn't very good bc he was all scrunched up and trying to attack it lol)

Attachments

• IMG_8680.JPG
    IMG_8680.JPG
    219.6 KB · Views: 175
  • IMG_8681.JPG
    IMG_8681.JPG
    20.6 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_8682.JPG
    IMG_8682.JPG
    19.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_8683.JPG
    IMG_8683.JPG
    20.7 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_8684.JPG
    IMG_8684.JPG
    16 KB · Views: 156
You should definitley get a screen mesh cage, i personally use reptibreeze as it they are very easy to set up and keep clean. They need constant air flow and can develop respritory problems in glass enclosures such as yours. It would be ideal to get a screen mesh cage as soon as possible, and since you have a male the smallest cage you should us for a full grown male is 24x24x48in (length×width×height). If i were you i would buy the 24x24x48 reptibreeze asap! :) also they can climb on the screen mesh so they have more ways to get around the cage.

This way you dont need to upgrade again. You can use that cage for your males entire lifespan:) hope this helps !

You should definitley get a screen mesh cage, i personally use reptibreeze as it they are very easy to set up and keep clean. They need constant air flow and can develop respritory problems in glass enclosures such as yours. It would be ideal to get a screen mesh cage as soon as possible, and since you have a male the smallest cage you should us for a full grown male is 24x24x48in (length×width×height). If i were you i would buy the 24x24x48 reptibreeze asap! :) also they can climb on the screen mesh so they have more ways to get around the cage.
i do like the screen enclosure its just that i live in the north east and its always cold, although when ever i am home in my room i have his door open for him

I struggle with this as well, i am in a cold climate area, if you have the right heat bulbs then it shouldnt be a problem, however humidity will be a problem, i usually put up plastic sheets that cover 3/4 of the top section for the cage all around to help keep moisture in, live plants and a drip system also help me keep the humidity at specific ranges, if its too cold for him just try getting a warmer bulb. Summer months are really easy going for me, and winter months are generally a nightmare when it comes to temp and humidity. With that being said, chameleons need a lot of air flow as they are prone to respritory problems if kept in a glass tank for long periods of time

Well your 12x12x18 is too small for him now and he needs a bigger cage I agree with Shablam you might as well upgrade now to a 24x24x48 screen cage now DIY cages has them pretty cheap with free shipping or if you have money to burn get a Dragon Strand or if you simply must have a glass cage get at least a Exo Terra Large/XTall - PT2609

Well your 12x12x18 is too small for him now and he needs a bigger cage I agree with Shablam you might as well upgrade now to a 24x24x48 screen cage now DIY cages has them pretty cheap with free shipping or if you have money to burn get a Dragon Strand or if you simply must have a glass cage get at least a Exo Terra Large/XTall - PT2609
yea i have been looking at people that make their own cages but it looks kinda complicated lol but i will think about it, at the grown rate he is at right now i will probs get a new cage in the next week or 2

I struggle with this as well, i am in a cold climate area, if you have the right heat bulbs then it shouldnt be a problem, however humidity will be a problem, i usually put up plastic sheets that cover 3/4 of the top section for the cage all around to help keep moisture in, live plants and a drip system also help me keep the humidity at specific ranges, if its too cold for him just try getting a warmer bulb. Summer months are really easy going for me, and winter months are generally a nightmare when it comes to temp and humidity. With that being said, chameleons need a lot of air flow as they are prone to respritory problems if kept in a glass tank for long periods of time
yea that is another thing i am concerned about, the humidity. i have an idea.. maybe get a screen cage and use it only during the summer (starting around may ish) and switch him back to the glass cage during the winter (going back at around October ish). I could keep my windows open in my room so it gets a little more warmer in there fro him (durring the summer) and keep fresh air venting thru.

I live in Canada and I prefer to use screen cages. A little more misting and cover the sides in plastic for the winter. In your older post everyone told you your cage was far to small already and that was over a month ago. your Cham will soon be suffering in there if he isn't already.

Last edited:
I live in Canada and I prefer to use screen cages. A little more misting and cover the sides in plastic for the winter. In your older post everyone told you your cage was far to small already and that was over a month ago. your Cham will soon be suffering in there if he isn't already.
No unfortunately he isnt suffering from his cage, my other post about this was my first Cham, he passed away from Pneumonia about 1 1/2 moths ago. It hit him so hard he just gave up after I gave him a doce of his medicine. This is my new Cham I got a month ago. But thank you for your concern

Last edited:
I searched all over the internet to fine a good price on the Zoo Med open air cage and the cheapest one I found was on petmountain.com. I got the 24"x24"x48" and their price was $93.99 with free shipping. If you sign up with your email address they email you a coupon code for 10% off your order. With that my order came to $84.59. It's supposed to get here in 8 days or less.

I searched all over the internet to fine a good price on the Zoo Med open air cage and the cheapest one I found was on petmountain.com. I got the 24"x24"x48" and their price was $93.99 with free shipping. If you sign up with your email address they email you a coupon code for 10% off your order. With that my order came to $84.59. It's supposed to get here in 8 days or less.
Whada bargan!

wow that is awesome!! ill definitely check it out

Back
Top Bottom