New, need help with lighting

Alyx

Hello, I'm new to the forums and also new to chameleons. I'm getting all of my supplies ready now and had a few questions

I'm getting the small reptibreeze cage (16x16x20) and I can't seem to find a UBV fixture that will fit that size. Most of them are a minimum of 18" which poses a problem. My local store sells coiled UVB bulbs with the fixture that is only 10" or so long. Is there any difference between coiled and tube UVB bulbs?

Hello and welcome!

I used a coiled UVB bulb in a dome lamp for almost a year with no appearant ill affect on my Veiled cham.

Many people seem to prefer the tube style lights for enclosures for a more even lighting and UVB distribution.

I just went to a new T5 hood last night, and will see how this works out. I will admit, the improved lighting is a plus.

As far as size, if you are looking for a hood or fixture, perhaps a 22" hood can be found. The overhang will not be so bad, and allow you to keep it on top of the enclosure without putting all the weight on the mesh top.

Alternately, if you want to use a coil UVB and can't find a hood to fit, then a dome lamp is perfectly fine. Just get one that has a polished inside (like most of the comercial ones for reptiles) to reflect the UVB into the cage.

Post some pics of your enclosure and cham!

Back
Top Bottom