New owner few questions

mark246lynn

Hi I have just bought a veiled chameleon and was wondering about a few things. He is a 3 months old and I live in the UK.
1) night time temp? At the minute the cage temp is about 68f on a night time.
2) he is about 3 months old, is 8 medium crickets a day enough?
3) I have both a normal 60w light ( which I am using) and was given a 100w ceramic bulb. Which one is best for basking

68 is fine for night temp. They can and will eat up to 20-25 crickets a day. I would be feeding small crickets at 3 months. I don't know how big your medium crickets are. If 8 is all he will eat, then that is ok. I am just saying, offer more if he will eat more. Either bulb if fine. It just really depends on which one gives you the desired temp you are looking for.

Try offering some different prey items as well as the small crickets, to stop him getting bored.

As you live in the UK, juvenile Locust (hoppers) are readily available - both my boys adore them, they don't smell and they don't bite your chameleon if he doesn't eat them all.

I am also from the UK

Here is my concern, ...

If you know that his enclosure never drops much below 65F then fine, however, what about the night your central heating packs in in the middle of winter....

I would and do use a none light none intrusive secondary lamp on a temp monitor to maintain night temp @ 72F..

I am also the proud owner of a Veiled :)

Also and humour me, the bulbs I assume provide UVB?

And for the record.....

Could you take the time to fill this in and post back please :)

Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Yeah he is easily eating 8 crickets. They are called medium but he eats them easily. That night temp is without central heating on as we live in a very warm house. I will try some different food choice thanks for the help.

I know people have different opinions on handerling but I have had him a few days and when I got him out he was a little scared but after a few minutes he curled up his tail, laid down on my finger and went to sleep. That is good right?

Well that depends on what time of day it is. Chameleons should not sleep during the day. That can be a sign of illness. They always only sleep at night. Do you see him sleeping during the day in his cage? If so, that is not a good sign.

ScoobtheNoob. You do not need to maintain the same temp at night as during the day. In fact, it is ideal for them to have a night time drop in temp just as they adjust to in nature. The temps do not need to be kept above 65 degrees. Veilds can be subject to temps in the 50's and will do fine. Adults have been known to survive in the 40's. I know he is a baby, so I would not suggest this, but just don't want this member going crazy trying to maintain a constant night time temp above 65. I live in Florida and we have an established wild Veild population down here. Our temps during the winter months drop in the 50's quite often and night and they are thriving down here.

Yeah he is easily eating 8 crickets. They are called medium but he eats them easily. That night temp is without central heating on as we live in a very warm house. I will try some different food choice thanks for the help.

I know people have different opinions on handerling but I have had him a few days and when I got him out he was a little scared but after a few minutes he curled up his tail, laid down on my finger and went to sleep. That is good right?

I would be skeptical as to whether this was a good sign to be honest, he may have just been shutting his eyes because he was afraid. Neither of my chameleons have ever gone to sleep on me, but that is not to say that others never do.

No he never sleeps in his cage during the day. He isn't scared as when he gets scared he goes very colourful. I'm hoping he is just relaxing.

No he never sleeps in his cage during the day. He isn't scared as when he gets scared he goes very colourful. I'm hoping he is just relaxing.

Mine would do that too. I think it's the warmth of you hand that does it. And mine where just fine. However if you do see him sleeping during the day in his enclosure this would not be a good sign. :)

Back
Top Bottom