New PVC Outdoor Enclosure

Silverdusk

Been working on this for a little while now. Just need to add some plants to it and it'll be ready for the herd. The nice thing is, it is completely water tight. So, the weight of the water in the pvc keeps it from blowing away and I installed a shrubbery mister nozzle on the top of the enclosure, set up on a timer that rains on the Chams every half hour or so. Total cost was right at $150.00 including new garden hose and digital timer/valve.

Enclosure.jpg

Enclosure4.jpg

Enclosure3.jpg

Enclosure1.jpg

That is fabulous. We did a similar one last year, but I like yours better. I never thought to fill the PVC pipes, and the stupid thing blew down 3 times this winter/spring. Fortunately, our chams get out there for only a couple of months during the summer and so were safely indoors. We have to repair much of the mesh and find a way to anchor the thing to the ground. But the water in the pipes deal might be the answer.

But the water in the pipes deal might be the answer.

They also make a metal/hard plastic stake, like you would use for a tent, but it has a little arm on it that wraps around the pvc pipe. It's found in the home/garden section at Lowes and Homedepot. You just place the enclosure where you want and then drive the stakes down over the bottom pvc piece. I'll try to post pictures.

chambabysitter1

I got the netting/pvc mesh at Homedepot back in the area where they sell poultry netting, chain link fencing and the orange construction fencing. I can't remember the exact name, but I'll find it for you. It comes in rolls 3' by 15' or 3' by 25'. They also have 4' wide and 2' wide. The three foot worked great for me and it was only $13.00 a roll. I used 3 rolls of it.

You said you were going to move "the herd" in there? Like, more than one chameleon? Just curious, but how? :eek:

Oh alright, just making sure, it sounded a little odd to me. Best of luck, it looks great!!

Silverdusk

Would it be possible to post a material list of this? Or do a DIY thread? This is very nice and looks like *I* could even put one together. Thank you :rolleyes:

Thanks! I second that.....

We are in the works of drawing up plans for a large outdoor enclosure (we already have caging outside, but we still wanted something like this, too...) and we were planning on doing something similar but we would appreciate copping other people's ideas - if you don't mind.....:)

You said you were going to move "the herd" in there? Like, more than one chameleon? Just curious, but how? :eek:

We do put our female panthers out in the outdoor enclosure together. It is 4 x 6 x 12 feet long, so is quite large, and has 4 different "areas" with hanging visual barriers. They live in individual cages, but go out together for short periods.

We do put our female panthers out in the outdoor enclosure together. It is 4 x 6 x 12 feet long, so is quite large, and has 4 different "areas" with hanging visual barriers. They live in individual cages, but go out together for short periods.

Well yes, it's fine to do with female panthers (unless they are buff and manly! LOL).. but I was just curious if he was putting males together. :p

That is fabulous. We did a similar one last year, but I like yours better. I never thought to fill the PVC pipes, and the stupid thing blew down 3 times this winter/spring. Fortunately, our chams get out there for only a couple of months during the summer and so were safely indoors. We have to repair much of the mesh and find a way to anchor the thing to the ground. But the water in the pipes deal might be the answer.

Would sand work better in the pipes to add weight? Just wondered, as if the temps go down below freezing the ice forming inside could damage the pipes. Just an idea, having had frozen central heating pipes earlier this year in a cold snap!

Would sand work better in the pipes to add weight? Just wondered, as if the temps go down below freezing the ice forming inside could damage the pipes. Just an idea, having had frozen central heating pipes earlier this year in a cold snap!

I was thinking the same thing...sand might be better for most people, as they can get low overnight temps at times.

Harry

Thanks again.

I'll work on a punch list and work up a build thread.

Sure, sand would work great. However, the connector for the hose is at the bottom of the cage. Simply unscrew the hose and the cage drains for winter storage. The cage can also be broken down fairly easy to stow it away during the cold months.

You can also buy some of these. Stake them in the ground and then zip tie to the enclosure.
pipestake.jpg

And a little proof of how much my boys and girls are enjoying it.
Socratesoutdoors.jpg

Back
Top Bottom