Newcomer, would like some input on my DIY enclosure

NastyNate

Although this is my first post, I've been reading through this forum since I got my baby veiled, about 2 weeks ago. It has been so nice to see how helpful and friendly everyone is on this site! I am a first time chameleon owner, but I think I have a pretty good handle on things thanks to this forum.

I'd like to get some input on my DIY set-up. I took an old wooden display cabinet from my parents house (18x22x35) that had sustained considerable water damage due to a flood. I removed the glass panels, sanded off the old finish (what was left of it), applied a waterproof deck finish, replaced the glass panels with screen, and viola!, a cage was born! the front door has a plexi-glass panel in it, I now know it should probably also be a screen. So, when I have time to make that adjustment, I will. And while I'm at it, I should probably make the back a screen, too. As far as substrate, I have a small ficus tree that I repotted in organic soil, covered the soil with river rock, and added some twigs and vines. At the bottom of the enclosure I put a plastic container filled with moss. The moss soaks up the excess water from misting and the excess water from the bottom of the pot. It does a good job of keeping the humidity up. I just ordered a light fixture that will house a UVB/A bulb, as well as an incandescent bulb for heat. Here are a few pictures of the set-up (unfortunately, I forgot to take before pictures :( ), suggestions on what could be better would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

And here is my little girl Dionysus, or 'Dino' for short:

IMG_2034.png

Although this is my first post, I've been reading through this forum since I got my baby veiled, about 2 weeks ago. It has been so nice to see how helpful and friendly everyone is on this site! I am a first time chameleon owner, but I think I have a pretty good handle on things thanks to this forum.

I'd like to get some input on my DIY set-up. I took an old wooden display cabinet from my parents house (18x22x35) that had sustained considerable water damage due to a flood. I removed the glass panels, sanded off the old finish (what was left of it), applied a waterproof deck finish, replaced the glass panels with screen, and viola!, a cage was born! the front door has a plexi-glass panel in it, I now know it should probably also be a screen. So, when I have time to make that adjustment, I will. And while I'm at it, I should probably make the back a screen, too. As far as substrate, I have a small ficus tree that I repotted in organic soil, covered the soil with river rock, and added some twigs and vines. At the bottom of the enclosure I put a plastic container filled with moss. The moss soaks up the excess water from misting and the excess water from the bottom of the pot. It does a good job of keeping the humidity up. I just ordered a light fixture that will house a UVB/A bulb, as well as an incandescent bulb for heat. Here are a few pictures of the set-up (unfortunately, I forgot to take before pictures :( ), suggestions on what could be better would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

IMG_1958.jpg

IMG_1959.jpg

IMG_1960.jpg

IMG_1961.jpg

IMG_2006.jpg

IMG_2007.jpg

IMG_2008.jpg

And here is my little girl Dionysus, or 'Dino' for short:

IMG_2034.png

ok first off all those the moss looks nice you dont want any substrate that you chameleon could choke on. 2ndly you need more plants to keep you chameleon hidden. id recommend golden pothes cuz it grows fast and is only needing a little water. do u have uvb and heat lights? thermometers? supplements? if not make sure you get them chameleons are not a cheap pet its best to not cut corners trust me it pays off in the long run. as for the cage it self very very nice.

good luck with your cham nooby if you get any questions ask everyone jumps to help out other chameleon owners.

The enclosure looks great! But you definitely need to get rid of the moss, and set up a drainage system to prevent water from flooding the floor. I drilled holes in mine using a very small bit, and then placed a plastic tub underneath to collect the water. You could also use some horizontal highways, vines and branches for basking and climbing.

WOW, your enclosure turned out fantastic. Looks like a professtional cage!! You definalty are gonna want to take the tote and the moss out. They are gonna harbor alot of bacteria not to mention your cham could try to eat it and become impacted. Everything else looks great. You might want to add some vines or cut some dowels and secure them with tacks on the outside of the screen.
Here is a link to my drainage system that cost me about 15 bucks at lowes. They even cut the pvc for me too!! :) Just drill some holes in the bottom of your cage and place a tote underneath to catch the access water.

https://www.chameleonforums.com/my-room-being-taken-over-65574/

Here's a pic of my setup/drainage... was about $30 for the shelving rack, which is adjustable at 1" intervals.

full

full

Last edited by a moderator:
That looks nice...I am also new to this site and to chams too,I have a rudis cham who ive had for 6 mos. and just gave birth 4 weeks ago. beautifull job on the enclosure..also anyone have advice on rudis babies???

where did you get your shelving unit? They look great!!

They look very similar to what I got from Target. I think they called it 5-Tier Wide Shelving Unit(76"H,48"W, 23"D I think), or at least I got the wide one, they are $50. They had a few different sizes as well. Her's isn't as large as the one I got.

Thanks for the input everyone! I'll make those adjustments and update you all with some pictures soon.

As far as lighting goes, She does have a UVB light and heat light. I also dust her crickets with Flunker's calcium with D3. I know the enclosure looks pretty bare, but she is smaller than my thumb right now and gets pretty lost in the ficus. I will be adding more substrate as time goes on. I will add some horizontal highways, thanks for that tip.

No they're saying NO substrate. Most chameleon keepers keep a clean floor of the cage. Won't be a breeding ground for bacteria, nothing for bugs to hide in, no risk of chameleon accidentally eating it... Alot of the same reasons you cover the plant with river rocks, actually.
As for the flukers calcium with d3 - do a search on proper supplementation, both for females, as well as particularly on the species of chameleon you have.
Usually the everyday supplementation is with calcium without d3 in it, then alternating with d3 as well as with a separate multivitamin. It depends on the brands how often you alternate. Ad some species are especially sensitive to oversupplementation so you have to use the supplements even more sparingly than is usually recommended for your usual veiled or panther with those species. Then it can be a little different here and there for young vs old, male vs female, which stage of egg laying the female is at, etc.
So anyways, what I'm saying is do some research quickly on the appropriate supplementation, because I suspect the one you're using is not appropriate for regular use, especially if it's your only supplement.

Edit - just realized you might have thought substrate meant foliage. By substrate we mean anything lining the bottom of the cage like the moss.
Also looked back and noticed you did say it was a veiled. So don't worry about what I said about sensitive species. With just a quick look at the baby pic I thought maybe it might have been some other kind. :)
So anyways, just look for recommendations on supplements for young females, and study up now on what to plan for for egg laying so you can adjust your age setup for the laying bin, and adjust your temps, feeding amounts and supplementation accordingly when the time comes.
Good luck! :)

Thank you! I did mean foliage when I said substrate, I will make the proper adjustments. I'll also look into the proper supplements. I appreciate the advice :)

That looks nice...I am also new to this site and to chams too,I have a rudis cham who ive had for 6 mos. and just gave birth 4 weeks ago. beautifull job on the enclosure..also anyone have advice on rudis babies???

I'd honestly ask Chris Anderson he's very helpful and informative. If you haven't vote in touch with him yet.

Holy smokes! Your cage turned out fantastic!!! I wish I could build stuff that nice. :) Like previously stated, I'd lose the moss and add more horizontal branches/vines at different levels. I'm a worrier, so I'd also go with bigger river stones or decorative stones that people put in vases that are too big for even a full grown chameleon to accidentally eat. That way you wouldn't have to change it when your baby girl grows up. Great job and adorable chameleon. :)

Back
Top Bottom