Normal behavior?

maggie311

I find my guy like this every now and then. I'm a newer chameleon keeper and I'm not sure if this posture is normal. He's seemingly chilling but his throat is puffed out and his arm is lifted. I've read that this is seen when they're defensive. But, he's in his enclosure all alone with no worries! Lol

Attachments

• 1000002299.jpg
    1000002299.jpg
    349.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 1000002300.jpg
    1000002300.jpg
    323.6 KB · Views: 11
Hello and welcome! That is call the chameleon salute. It’s typically seen when something is bothering your chameleon. Same goes for the gular puff they do this to look more intimidating.

When do you see your little guy doing this?

Hello and welcome! That is call the chameleon salute. It’s typically seen when something is bothering your chameleon. Same goes for the gular puff they do this to look more intimidating.

When do you see your little guy doing this?
That's what I thought. But he's just perched on his stick in his enclosure. Nothing's changed or different. Nothing's going on around him. I've looked all around to see if he can see himself in a reflection or anything. Nothing. Could he just be in a mood or demonstrating his 'chameleon-ism'? LOL (I was even sneaky taking the picture so I wouldn't see me)

That's what I thought. But he's just perched on his stick in his enclosure. Nothing's changed or different. Nothing's going on around him. I've looked all around to see if he can see himself in a reflection or anything. Nothing. Could he just be in a mood or demonstrating his 'chameleon-ism'? LOL (I was even sneaky taking the picture so I wouldn't see me)
It’s hard to say. Chameleons can be funny little things. I’ve got a panther that hates the color red and gets stressed out if he can see a computer or tv screen. (All the movement on them bother I’m I think). Just keep paying attention to your little one :)

It’s hard to say. Chameleons can be funny little things. I’ve got a panther that hates the color red and gets stressed out if he can see a computer or tv screen. (All the movement on them bother I’m I think). Just keep paying attention to your little one :)
Will do. No tv or computer screen visible to him. He does seem pretty normal and healthy. (I took him to a vet for a post-adoption check-up). He's currently making his post-meal rounds through his enclosure. Thanks! 🥰

Might adjust your sticks so he can bask easier with horizontal options. He is trying to get higher and is holding on to both sticks to be more comfortable while exposing his entire side to the light.

That’s so funny, Spaghetti LOVES to watch my husband play video games. He will sit and watch the tv and not get defensive at all. He’s got a perfect view of it from his enclosure. Cracks me up. Though he has never really been a normal chameleon 😅

His basking branch is behind him. Those two vertical sticks are too high for him to bask under. His temp under his basking branch reaches 84-85 degrees. He likes to perch on the vertical branches to get as high as he can.

Might adjust your sticks so he can bask easier with horizontal options. He is trying to get higher and is holding on to both sticks to be more comfortable while exposing his entire side to the light.
His basking branch is behind him. Those two vertical sticks are too high for him to bask under. His temp under his basking branch reaches 84-85 degrees. He likes to perch on the vertical branches to get as high as he can.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    235.5 KB · Views: 10
Correct so the best thing I would advice is to cut those vertical sticks shorter so he is not trying to get higher. Because you need the distance from the UVB light to be spot on if he can get too close to that he can be in overexposure levels. Too close to basking and he can get a thermal burn. Basking should sit 80-85 max for him.

What he is doing is totally normal this is why we limit how high our branches go because they can not differentiate if it is a safe temp or UVI level. So we limit how high for them. Otherwise they will commonly go to the very highest spot available which right now he has a few really high options he can climb.

Correct so the best thing I would advice is to cut those vertical sticks shorter so he is not trying to get higher. Because you need the distance from the UVB light to be spot on if he can get too close to that he can be in overexposure levels. Too close to basking and he can get a thermal burn. Basking should sit 80-85 max for him.

What he is doing is totally normal this is why we limit how high our branches go because they can not differentiate if it is a safe temp or UVI level. So we limit how high for them. Otherwise they will commonly go to the very highest spot available which right now he has a few really high options he can climb.
Gotcha. What is the danger in too high UVB levels? I know the heat can cause burns or overheating but I wasn't aware of UVB overexposure.

That’s so funny, Spaghetti LOVES to watch my husband play video games. He will sit and watch the tv and not get defensive at all. He’s got a perfect view of it from his enclosure. Cracks me up. Though he has never really been a normal chameleon 😅
My veiled and parsons didn’t seem bothered by screens but man alive my panther does not like them 🤣

High uvb can cause cancer or organ damage when exposed to high levels for too long.
I'm using the Reptisun 5.0 and his branches are at least 10 inches below any light. The tall vertical branches are the supports attached to his Dragon Strand ledges. They are configured exactly as the Chameleon Academy recommends. I'm confident my enclosure is safe and enjoyable for my boy :)

I'm using the Reptisun 5.0 and his branches are at least 10 inches below any light. The tall vertical branches are the supports attached to his Dragon Strand ledges. They are configured exactly as the Chameleon Academy recommends. I'm confident my enclosure is safe and enjoyable for my boy :)
If you are using the reptisun T5HO fixture with the 5.0 bulb your branches need to be 8-9 inches to be in the recommended 3 UVI.

Back
Top Bottom