Not sure what is wrong with my piebald veiled chameleon

Cosmo05

i have a 3 or 4 year old chameleon and he has been having a problem with his eye, has been displaying dark colors and has been shutting his eyes during the day time. I’m not sure what is wrong with him and really need help.

He has 2 water droppers, a fogger and an automatic sprayer that sprays at 7am when he wakes up and at 7pm when he goes to sleep. He also has a T5 10.0 uvb long bulb light and a ceramic heat bulb. He gets repashy superfood supercal NoD and repashy superfood supercal LoD. He gets LoD 2 times a month and NoD every feeding.

His eye started off just looking a little off so I did research like crazy but then his eye started closing and getting a little dry and puffy now it looks better but I don’t think he can see out of it. Other then him not being to see to good out of that eye he is still eating and very food motivated. I also realized that he is very active in the morning with very bright colors but later in the day at around 12 he just gets dark and doesn’t move.
This is his eye about 2 months ago
IMG_4847.jpeg

IMG_5118.jpeg
And this is it now
IMG_5391.jpeg
Please help me thank you.

I have no idea what that could be so i’ll leave that to the experts, but i hope he gets better! For anyone to answer you, can you fill this sheet out and someone can review it for you?
And if I were you, i’d bring him to a vet asap!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

You’re little buddy will probably need to see a vet for this. Do you have one already or need to find one? We have a list of vets by area if you need to find one.

I would also fill out the husbandry form/questions. Please take pics of your entire enclosure from the lights down. Also, provide pics of your supplements too. This will give us a better idea if it’s husbandry related.

Agreed with above. Did he shed recently or have you seen him rub his eye(s) against something lately?
Do you have Reptizoo vines in your enclosure?

When you mist, does he get water on him? And has he time to clean or flush his eyes probably? If something gets stuck in their eyes they can only get it out by flushing their eye with water (same like us humans).

I have no idea what that could be so i’ll leave that to the experts, but i hope he gets better! For anyone to answer you, can you fill this sheet out and someone can review it for you?
And if I were you, i’d bring him to a vet asap!
Chameleon Info:
  • Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
  • Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
  • Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
  • Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
  • Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
  • Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
  • History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
  • Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
  • Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
  • Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
  • Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
  • Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
  • Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
  • Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Your chameleon
Cosmo is a male veiled chameleon and he is 4 years old I think. I got him when he was one from pet-smart.

Handling
I never handle him because he really doesn't like being handled he hisses and makes himself big and I don't want to stress him out so I try not to bother him.

Feeding
I feed him about 15 large crickets every day he doesn't eat them every day he usually eats them every other day. He also gets 3 super worms with the crickets. I also give him horn worms once in a while for a treat.

Supplement

73774266516__A7EE0EDE-E4E9-4E7E-9168-CF635E05DBF7.heic

He gets LoD on the 1st and 15th of every month and NoD every feeding and I dust them on his crickets and super worms

Watering
He has an automatic mister, 2 water droppers and a humidifier. He gets misted for 10 minutes at 7am and 10 minutes 7pm. I haven't checked to see if he has been drinking but I will check to make sure he is.

Fecal description
His poop has a dark brown bigger part and a smaller white part and it's mostly solid.I don't think he has been tested for parasites.

History
He had a previous eye problem from lack of vitamins and I took him to the vet for a vitamin A shot I'm pretty sure and that helped him get better but now he has something different going on and I don't think he can see much out of this eye. He also has just been acting different he always has dark colors on and has his eyes shut a lot during the day.

Cage info
He has a cage that I made out of an old armoire it has screen on the top and on the two doors on the front and the entire back. The dimensions are 18L12Wx24H.

Lighting
He uses reptisun 10.0 uvb t5 ho 39w. And a ceramic heat build 60w. I keep the heat bulb on all the time and the uvb build hose on from 7am to 7 pm.

Temperature
The range of his enclosure is 79-90 | think and the temp at night is usually the same. I usually measure this with a laser thermometer.

Humidity
The humidity in his enclosure is I think 56% I maintain this with his humidifier and his mister. I measure this with a small thing on top of his cage that tells me the % and the temp

Plants
He has a live monstera and a elephant ear plant then a bunch of vines and branches

Placement
The enclosure is in corner of my room it is on the opposite side of the room from the air vent. I have a ceiling fan that is usually on at night and his cage is next to the window. The cage is about a foot from the ceiling and is about 6 feet tall. It's not high traffic I only sleep in there then no one's in there the rest of the day.

I'm located in North Carolina Current problem

The current problem is that he has been displaying darker colors and closing his eyes during the day he also is having a problem with his eye and cans see too well out of

Back
Top Bottom