Organic Potting Soil Question

maronu82

Hello, this is my first post here! I'm relatively new to chameleon keeping, I'm currently prepping an upgraded enclosure for my Jackson's chameleon. Currently I'm researching potting soils for the live plants in the new enclosure. I don't have a lot of choices (due to my location) & I wanted to know if this brand is fine to use? Since Idk much about plants, I'm pretty lost lol (thanks in advance)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240803_115403_Home Depot.jpg
    Screenshot_20240803_115403_Home Depot.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 9
It looks like there is a fertilizer in there which can sometimes be not good. If there is any white balls in there (perlite) it’s definitely a no go.

I don’t know that the fertilizer in it will be a big deal if he doesn’t eat leaves. You can always put rocks over the soil so he can’t eat the soil to prevent that too if that is the only soil available.

I don’t know that the fertilizer in it will be a big deal if he doesn’t eat leaves. You can always put rocks over the soil so he can’t eat the soil to prevent that too if that is the only soil available.
I've had him for 4 months, I haven't seen him eat leaves or seen missing bits so far.

I'll check if it has the perlite.

Would it be ok if I put mesh screen over the soil and secure it with the rocks?

Probably can as long as no sharp edges in case he strikes at a bug on it he doesn’t risk hurting his tongue

You might be better off with "top soil". Potting soil seems to always have alot of "stuff" in it to help with plant repotting stress.

Back
Top Bottom