Outdoor Chameleon in Huntington Beach, California

nowo_11

Hello all! I live in Huntington Beach , CA and would like to create an outdoor environment for a chameleon.

The weather in my coastal setting goes from 40-90 degrees and is generally humid at night.

I’ll have plenty of shading for the hotter days, but I’m curious if I’ll be able to keep the chameleon outdoors for the colder nights. Is outdoor heating an option? Will the Jackson Chameleon be my only option, if at all? Is it possible to have a completely outdoor chameleon or will I need to have an indoor enclosure as well?

Thanks!

Hi and welcome to the forum! I don't know much about outdoor enclosures but I do know that if you were planning on having a Jacksons chameleon, CA's summer temps would not be suitable for a Jacksons chameleon so you would need an indoor enclosure for the summer. Hopefully some other members who have outdoor keeping experience will pop in and give you advice.

We have Jackson chameleons established in Morro Bay. Possibly in San Diego and Palos Verde Peninsula. But I don’t know if all of those location are still intact with chameleons or they are now wiped out.

Coastal Southern California is a great place to keep outdoor enclosures for chameleons. I would only be concerned when the temperatures go below 40-45 Fahrenheit or humidity goes low below 40% (especially for montane species). There is a long history of chameleon keepers in Southern California keeping their chameleons outside in Southern California. Ken Kalish and Ardi Abate the Authors and Editors of the C.I.N are great examples of chameleon keepers in Southern California keeping there chameleons outside all year.

Best Regards
Jeremy A. Rich

I live in HB and have been keeping chameleons here outdoors year round for nearly 30 years. Jackson’s do great outdoors here. I’ve kept several species outdoors with most of them being Calumma and Trioceros species. These species see cool temperatures in their natural environments. The closer to the beach you are the better imo. The high nighttime humidity is great and we rarely get into the 90’s.

Back
Top Bottom