Outdoor Enclosure Advice

maggie311

Hi guys!

I took Karma outside for about 5 minutes this afternoon and he LOVED it. I brought him back inside to his enclosure and he was more active than I've ever seen him. I have a smaller 30x30x16 enclosure with live plants inside that I'd love to let him hang out in, but I'm worried he won't want to come back to his inside set up. Is this a legit concern or am I just overthinking things?

Many keepers have seasonal outdoor enclosures and have no issues. He may not want to come in, but that ultimately is up to you 😆. I set up an outdoor free range on my lanai and Raistlin and Zaphod enjoyed it. They both were happy back in their enclosures.
Great! I'm still new to chameleon keeping. I'm impressed with how smart they are! He knows his food dish and knows that when I come to his cage to meet me at the door for a silkworm. Well, maybe he's just more food-motivated than smart 😂

Just make sure he isn’t in direct sun or has some shade so he won’t get overheated.
Definitely! We sat on a chair outside; he was on my arm. I wouldn't leave him out of my sight. He was just so excited by the breeze and sunshine. I'd love to give him a change of pace from his enclosure, I just don't want it to turn into a case where he's constantly fretting about wanting to be outside since that isn't possible or safe full-time.

Here's the outside enclosure. He wouldn't be in in long, maybe 30-45 mins when I get home from work in the evening. The other is his inside home.
1000002243.jpg
1000002244.jpg

Looks like a good start! I’m sure he will enjoy it! 😁 What are the outdoor ambient temps in your area? I house outdoors here in FL and even in the shade it can get hot. I know he won’t be out for long but I would have a temp gauge in the enclosure just to keep an eye on it.

I forgot to add one more thing that I noticed and that is the reflection from the door. You will want to cover the backside so he can’t see his reflection. They have good eye sight and he will be fired up instead of enjoying his outside time lol.

I forgot to add one more thing that I noticed and that is the reflection from the door. You will want to cover the backside so he can’t see his reflection. They have good eye sight and he will be fired up instead of enjoying his outside time lol.
Good eye! Will do!

Back
Top Bottom