Panacur Dose for Pinworms

Arbolito

I performed a fecal at home and I found pinworm ova, 5 in the whole slide. I have a few questions I’ll list below.

1. Some people say to not treat pinworms and others say a parasite free cham is healthier. I’m leaning towards treating him
2. I ordered Panacur 10% 100mg/ml. How do I determine his dose. He weighed 510 grams this morning.
3. How many times and how often should I administer Panacur? I researched on this forum and saw way too many answers that were all different.
4. I brought it up to my friend who is a vet. They mentioned .2ml by mouth just once based on a 40mg/kg dose? This is the reason I am asking on here as well. Giving Panacur just once didn’t seem right to me?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_4012.jpeg
    IMG_4012.jpeg
    123.6 KB · Views: 10
I am currently going through this issue but have always gone to my vet for correct dosage. I do have a question in regards to the weight…what species do you own? 510g is closer to what a Parson’s species weighs.

I am currently going through this issue but have always gone to my vet for correct dosage. I do have a question in regards to the weight…what species do you own? 510g is closer to what a Parson’s species weighs.
Ha you’re exactly right. He’s a parsons. Well my vet did say .2ml just once but of all the options I saw online were different. Like 3-5 days treat and 1-2 weeks apart. 2-3 treatments.

Ok just wanna make sure lol! When my vet prescribed strongid (similar to panacur) they gave me three doses. One a day for 3 days and from what I recently learned you are supposed to treat for the life cycle of the pin worm. I had one vet give me one treatment and another vet gave me multiple treatments 3 weeks apart (due to higher counts). But I’m not a vet so that’s about as much info as I can give lol.

Hello! I’m also learning to do my own fecals so please keep sharing what you find! And I also have a parsons! How old is yours?

I really can only answer your first question. I would treat your baby for sure. In an enclosed environment like your parsons enclosure it’s easy for parasites to be excessive in their quantities. Depending on the species it can lay hundreds of eggs a day or more. In an enclosure your chameleon can basically get a life time with of pinworm eggs in one zap of the tongue…then boom it’s got a parasite load that is too heavy for their bodies to deal with.

Back
Top Bottom