panther chameleon watering

I'm new to owning a chameleon and I'm a bit concerned my 5 month old ambilobe may not be getting enough water.
The reason for my concern is every video I've seen of a panther chameleon at any age drinking they're simply licking the water off the leaves. I have never seen my chameleon drink this way. Instead after the mister shuts off he'll walk over and fire his tongue at the leaves and drop the same way he would food.
My misting schedule starts at 8am and comes on ever 3 hours after that ending at 8pm, each time running for 1 minute using a mist king starter kit. I have it facing several clumps of artificial hanging plants that are easily accessible at several different heights via branches or vines and hang the entire length of the cage.
He doesn't look dehydrated, but if there is an issue with him being able to get water, I'd rather not wait until then to fix it.

Try adding a small rodent water bottle. He will learn quickly this is a source of water. I trained them by dripping on the bottle nozzle at first.
Continue to mist and do use a drip cup. The water bottle is only a backup !!!!
I use them with all my chams.
Do empty and add clean water to the bottles often so they always have a fresh source if your not there.
20140411_101833.jpg

If he is going up to the water and firing at the droplets I would think he is drinking as he knows were the water is if he needs it. What does his poop look like this could be an early indication If the white bits have a yellowy tinge. It sounds like he gets misted plenty so I don't see myslef why he wouldn't drink he might be when you're not looking. You don't mention If you have a dripper this could be something you might think about getting if you're worried.

My Cham drinks from my spray bottle. Just show him how it sprawls the water then hold it is his face and he should hold his tounge out :)

His droppings seem to be a model for the description of healthy poops.. dark brown with a starch white spot on it. No yellow coloring at all.
I dont have a dripper and I will get one if i start to notice any change in his condition, but I'm starting to think I'm worrying over nothing and I just never get to see him drink.

What would be the earliest sign of dehydration I could watch for? Or would that just be the discoloration in his droppings?

Best way to tell is by their eyes. If they are nice an full and extend out of the skull, he is most likely hydrated. If his eyes are sunken in, he is dehydrated. Combine this with checking his poops and you should be good

That makes me feel better.. His eyes seem normal, but I'll post pictures of him and his enclosure tomorrow when he's awake for final analysis haha.

Here are the pictures I promised.
The first two should give you a good look at him and his eyes. The next is the area that get sprayed by the mister, and the last is the entire cage.

Let me know what you guys think.

Attachments

• IMAG0155.jpg
    IMAG0155.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 186
  • IMAG0156.jpg
    IMAG0156.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 126
  • IMAG0157.jpg
    IMAG0157.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 103
  • IMAG0159.jpg
    IMAG0159.jpg
    259.5 KB · Views: 152
He looks fine to me. A lot of keepers on the forums have not ever or only on occasion seen their chams drink. I have rarely seen my boys drink. Another thing you can do is if you are concerned about hydration you can give them a silk or horn worm as they have a very high moisture content. As another member stated, watch his stools. If the urate is orange or yellow it is a sign of dehydration. It should be chalk white.

Back
Top Bottom