panther diet

hoofy888

i feed my guy crickets every day. 20-25. he is 4 1/2 mo. old. want to offer more variety. gave him 5 wax worms today and he ate them all. what else can i offer. ps. i will not bring roaches in my house.

Oh my gosh! 5 waxworms in a day! That is like 4 or 5 months worth! Feed only 1 or 2 waxworms a month, they arent great feeders. That is a shame about the roaches, dubia roaches are one of the best all around feeders. But anyway, I would minimize the feeding of superworms and mealworms because they have a high chance of impacting your cham. Hornworms are a great feeder, packed with hydration. Silkworms are great too. I personally use crickets, dubias, silks, waxworms, and more as time goes on. Make sure you concentrate on getting a decent gutload as well.

5 Wax worms will not hurt your cham, don't worry, but really they aren't the best feeder, so it is definitely not recommended. Superworms and mealworms do not have a high chance of impaction, however, I have been warned that if a chameleon begins eating superworms you will have a very hard time of getting them to eat anything else, tho I have not had this problem before. The supers and meal worms do have a hard shell, so it is better for your chameleon to eat things like hornworms, silkworms, occasionally some butters, crickets, you could also try to get him to eat some veggies too.

your feeding him 25 crickets? i have a veiled hes 4 1/2 months old and hes only eating abut 3 or 4 crickets and 4 or 5 roaches in a day is this bad and how do i get him to eat more?

your feeding him 25 crickets? i have a veiled hes 4 1/2 months old and hes only eating abut 3 or 4 crickets and 4 or 5 roaches in a day is this bad and how do i get him to eat more?

No that is fine, that is all mine usually eats too. Unless he looks thin and is hungry for more don't worry about it. If he will eat more go right ahead. If it is a male that is, females only need 3-4 feeders a feeding.

5 Wax worms will not hurt your cham, don't worry, but really they aren't the best feeder, so it is definitely not recommended. Superworms and mealworms do not have a high chance of impaction, however, I have been warned that if a chameleon begins eating superworms you will have a very hard time of getting them to eat anything else, tho I have not had this problem before. The supers and meal worms do have a hard shell, so it is better for your chameleon to eat things like hornworms, silkworms, occasionally some butters, crickets, you could also try to get him to eat some veggies too.

honestly, I do not think I have seen one case or lets say proof that superworms cause impaction or for that matter mealworms. If you do not feed too many and vary your chameleon's diet with soft bodied feeders, then you should not have a problem. I think if you fed exclusively superworms and meal worms, then they might cause digestive problems. I just see so many people on here say that they cause impaction and I so far since I have been a member have not seen one case of this.

For a growing male panther I would feed as much as he want to eat each day until he is a year old.
Wax worms are only used when I feel my animals are skinny but are divine as a treat once a month.

Gut loading and a proper dusting regiment is key to a healthy male panther.
So don't use junk food to feed your crickets.

Try silkies, moths, hornworms, mantids, and blue bottle flys as feeders.
Just remember to gutload your crickets with three healthiest of greens and fruit for the best results.

Harry

I just see so many people on here say that they cause impaction and I so far since I have been a member have not seen one case of this.

I have personal experience with it. yes it CAN happen.

IMHO Mealworms should form no more than 10% of a chameleons diet and superworms no more than 20%
and, ideally, together no more than 20%

Carol5208- I'm confused...did you quote me to agree with my statement that superworms and meal worms do not cause impaction, or did you misread my comment and thought I said they do have a higher chance of causing impaction than other feeders?

I have personal experience with it. yes it CAN happen.

IMHO Mealworms should form no more than 10% of a chameleons diet and superworms no more than 20%
and, ideally, together no more than 20%

Sandra, I just see it posted on here so much but do we really have proof of it? I mean how do you know that caused your chameleon to become impacted? Was it determined by a vet?. My one guy lived on them for quite awhile when he would eat nothing else(no I did not go the stravation route) and nothing never happened to him. So, are you saying even if you vary the diet with silks, crickets, hornworms etc, impaction can happen if you feed too many supers?

You can gutload silkworms on mulberry leaves and mulberry based chow AS WELL AS dandelion leaves, grape vine leaves, and many other green leafy items, shaved carrot, etc

I should have clarified myself and yes I agree with the Mulberry leaves but I tried the carrots and the dandelion leaves and they would not eat them. I did only try it once however, when I ran out of chow for a few days. Am I correct in saying that they cannot live without Mulberry for a long length of time? Can they be sustained on those items you mentioned alone.?

Carol5208- I'm confused...did you quote me to agree with my statement that superworms and meal worms do not cause impaction, or did you misread my comment and thought I said they do have a higher chance of causing impaction than other feeders?

I did not see that you said they "did not" cause impaction, but you will get an argument with others on here from that! Sorry!! I just did!! I am used to everyone always saying they cause impaction. I am just not so sure I agree with this.

Sandra, I just see it posted on here so much but do we really have proof of it? I mean how do you know that caused your chameleon to become impacted? Was it determined by a vet?. My one guy lived on them for quite awhile when he would eat nothing else(no I did not go the stravation route) and nothing never happened to him. So, are you saying even if you vary the diet with silks, crickets, hornworms etc, impaction can happen if you feed too many supers?

I will say yes it does happen, is because they are high in chitin
My vet agrees.

Harry

Back
Top Bottom