Panther, Good price ?

surfer721

Hey,
My Veiled Chameleon passed away recently and my mum said today, why dont you get a Panther Chameleon ?
I looked in the reptile shop closest and they are £185.
Do you all think this is a good price or not ?
Thanks ;D

Well I just got a 4 month old for $200 US. The cham was $150 and the shipping was $50... I think I got a pretty good deal... I hope this helps =]

This guy is in Europe, in UK exactly.

I suggest you visit a few expositions in Europe, for example at Hamm, to see the usual prices. You could get one for cheaper. However, make sure that you do not buy a WC (wild caught) chameleon because they have their part of negative aspects that you may dislike! ;) If it's significately less expensive than all the other sellers, it should be WC, even if the seller doesn't admit it! ;)

If you could visit an exposition with an experienced breeder it would be a good thing, to make sure you don't get ripped off.

Also, if your veiled died, i suggest you find the reason(s) why he died and try to improve whatever you can. :)

Some of the UK members will be able to help you with good pricing :)

My only advice to you is that you do your research and lots of it!! Get your viv set up and all your supplies before getting him or her.

I remember your post on your last cham that just dies that had severe MBD so you don't want a repeat of that, so learn from that experience and you
will have many happy years of cham ownership.....good on you for wanting to try again. :)

Yeah, the Main reason why ChamCham got MBD, was that i got given all of the lighting with the setup and they said it was new. It wasnt. It didnt have any UV left.

Something you could do is post your whole setup, including all the variables (temperature, humidity, food, vitamins, calcium and more), for how long you had the stuff, etc. And then members could help you point out the things you could improve! :)

Some pictures would help too.

Then you go buy your chameleon and make it live for 6 years! :)

_DSC0004.jpg

_DSC0006.jpg

_DSC0007.jpg

_DSC0008.jpg

That's an awesome cage, I would suggest adding live plants to it though for your next cham :)

Those are just some pictures.
3" x 3" x 2" viv.
Get a magic eye.
Get a digital thermometer.
What else ?

Puh...I don't exact know where to start, here are the points which make this enclosure not suitable for chameleons:
- no real air flow
- lamps inside the enclosure
- way too less branches, just a few at the bottom ! (chameleons prefer the higher regions of their enclosure, especially Furcifer pardalis)
- no drainage = probably you will mist less = your chameleon will dehydrate
- too less plants, there are not even enough fake ones inside

Something you could do is post your whole setup, including all the variables (temperature, humidity, food, vitamins, calcium and more), for how long you had the stuff, etc. And then members could help you point out the things you could improve! :)

Some pictures would help too.

Then you go buy your chameleon and make it live for 6 years! :)

Usually :
Temperature = around 30c
Humidity = About 55
Food = Varies.
Calcium , Vitamins and stuff = vary dust, Calcium water supplement and Gut load.
Anything else ?

Hey,
My Veiled Chameleon passed away recently and my mum said today, why dont you get a Panther Chameleon ?
I looked in the reptile shop closest and they are £185.
Do you all think this is a good price or not ?
Thanks ;D

That's generally what they will cost here unless you can find a good private breeder on reptile forums uk!
I got my little panther for £75

EDIT: With a panther cham you will need to get some good ventilation in there like cutting out some wood and replacing it with mesh

Id cut a hole in the top, insert screen, and relocate the heat lamp outside the cage. Or at least use a finer screen on the inside - a tail or foot could easily touch that bulb.

Add a few vents like are already on the back to the top, and a few more to the sides.

Id add Live plants

lots more branches and vines.

replace those temp and humidity guages with good ones (you're going to get useless readings from the ones I see in the pics). measure temp and humidity at top, middle and bottom.

I could be wrong, but it looks like he has several fans in there for ventilation. I always wondered if that would work... but I prefer the screen cages as you can walk around them and see more.

Was this an actual reptile enclosure or a repurposed piece of furniture? I've never seen anyone use anything like this.

im from wigan and the cheapest i could find a panther in manchester area was 120 in warrington. ended up getin 1 from thur, rest was selling them at 160 - 200. warrington pets and exotics its called.hes a 3 month old nosy be x sambava a rite little character

it really depends on what locale it is as nixenface said hes cost 75 but that was for a cross. In my local blue bar amibilobes are £200 for babys and and adult picasso is £300

First change this enclosure ! Afterwards you could ask sb from GB who visits a fair in Germany or the Netherlands, where Furcifer pardalis are very easy to get

Back
Top Bottom