Photos of Hybrid Chameleons

Chalu

Hello! I am a new owner to my panther cham and I don't see too many threads about hybrids and different ones, how the look and stuff..
I wanted to see other hybrids if you guys post Ur hybrid chams on here that'd be awesome to have a little page dedicated to hybrids
thanks!

Here's Goober! Ambanja x Ambilobe Hybrid Panther Cham about 3 1/2 months old

Attachments

• IMG_20140701_181645.jpg
    IMG_20140701_181645.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 3,710
This is Daedalus, a panther I lost this past Fall. He was my favorite, an Ambanja x Faly mix, 3 years old.

896m.jpg

I have a question, is a panther considered a hybrid when he is of a mixed locale? Isin't it conidered a hybrid when two separate species are bred together? Olimpia Daedalus sure was a very beautiful chameleon! Chalu i think Goober is gonna be a stunner when he starts clouring up :)

hybrid or morph?

I got told by the breeder he was a Morph?? Anyway Diesel is my 7 month, Ambilobe x nosy be panther. What do you think??? im hopping he'll look amazing in the new few days, he's just starting a shed :D

Attachments

• 20140623_153756.jpg
    20140623_153756.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 274
Most people I think call them crosses, sometimes morphs, and sometimes hybrids. "Hybrid" does imply that it's a mix of two species, which in this case it isn't, so I personally like "cross." But I think everyone in the community pretty much understands what you say when you say you have a panther locale hybrid, since the incidence of actual species hybrids is nearly unheard of, so a lot of the terms are used interchangeably.

FSchams, thank you!

I got told by the breeder he was a Morph?? Anyway Diesel is my 7 month, Ambilobe x nosy be panther. What do you think??? im hopping he'll look amazing in the new few days, he's just starting a shed :D

He looks like hes pure ambilobe to me..

Im hoping he'll colour up a bit more this was his dad another cross :)

Attachments

• cache_2438188630.jpeg
    cache_2438188630.jpeg
    12.2 KB · Views: 249
Crosses can definitely look like pures! The fun thing about genetics is that babies can turn out like parent A, parent B, or any mix therein. That's also one of their bad points, because you could sell a panther as, say, a pure Ambilobe for more money and then when that person goes to breed him all the babies look like mixes!

Check out Sandrachameleon's photos sometime, she used to breed Ambi x Nosy Be crosses all the time and she has photos where some sons look all Be, others look all Ambi, and others somewhere in the middle.

Crosses can definitely look like pures! The fun thing about genetics is that babies can turn out like parent A, parent B, or any mix therein. That's also one of their bad points, because you could sell a panther as, say, a pure Ambilobe for more money and then when that person goes to breed him all the babies look like mixes!

Check out Sandrachameleon's photos sometime, she used to breed Ambi x Nosy Be crosses all the time and she has photos where some sons look all Be, others look all Ambi, and others somewhere in the middle.

very cool info! good to know! Any way one can get a DNA check or something to find out what local and percentages of local their cham is. I know they do this for dogs and cats, im wondering if we can do this too.

Answered a question I've yet to ask xD ty for your input

I have a question, is a panther considered a hybrid when he is of a mixed locale? Isin't it conidered a hybrid when two separate species are bred together? Olimpia Daedalus sure was a very beautiful chameleon! Chalu i think Goober is gonna be a stunner when he starts clouring up :)

Thanks! I'm very excited to see how goober turns out. his under belly is white with red dots like a faly Its crazy

Learn something new every day! lol :D As of right now there is no genetic test available.

That cham is beautiful! what happen to him? RIP

All of you guys posted such nice hybrids.

Thank you! He had an intestinal prolapse in October and although surgery went great he died 2 weeks later.

Learn something new every day! lol :D As of right now there is no genetic test available.

Thank you! He had an intestinal prolapse in October and although surgery went great he died 2 weeks later.

What's intestinal prolapse ? how does that happen to a cham

What's intestinal prolapse ? how does that happen to a cham

It's when something (like tissue or an organ) is not where it is supposed to be in the body, literally "to fall out of place." So when someone says their chameleon has an intestinal prolapse it means that part of their colon has come out the vent. And in the case of a hemipenal prolapse, for example, one or both of the chameleon's penises have become stuck outside of the body. In the case of Daedalus, a bit of intestine was protruding from his vent, it became very swollen, and needed a vet to put it back in and add a stitch, to keep it in place until the swelling went down.

One culprit of intestinal prolapses is parasites. Another is probably dehydration and straining to poop, they probably push out their own rectum because they are too dry to pass fecal matter properly. Some think severe stress might cause them as well but this seems more like a guess.

With hemipenes it's usually just that they stick out one or both penises and they might become swollen from rubbing on a branch or from breeding and they become too enlarged to go back in on their own. They'll stick their hemipenes out sometimes just for fun, so in this case don't freak out just yet - but if they can't pull them in after a while they may need assistance.

It's a good idea for a vet to assist with both scenarios, and in the meantime it's vital to keep the tissue moist with something like a water-based lubricant.

It's when something (like tissue or an organ) is not where it is supposed to be in the body, literally "to fall out of place." So when someone says their chameleon has an intestinal prolapse it means that part of their colon has come out the vent. And in the case of a hemipenal prolapse, for example, one or both of the chameleon's penises have become stuck outside of the body. In the case of Daedalus, a bit of intestine was protruding from his vent, it became very swollen, and needed a vet to put it back in and add a stitch, to keep it in place until the swelling went down.

One culprit of intestinal prolapses is parasites. Another is probably dehydration and straining to poop, they probably push out their own rectum because they are too dry to pass fecal matter properly. Some think severe stress might cause them as well but this seems more like a guess.

With hemipenes it's usually just that they stick out one or both penises and they might become swollen from rubbing on a branch or from breeding and they become too enlarged to go back in on their own. They'll stick their hemipenes out sometimes just for fun, so in this case don't freak out just yet - but if they can't pull them in after a while they may need assistance.

It's a good idea for a vet to assist with both scenarios, and in the meantime it's vital to keep the tissue moist with something like a water-based lubricant.

Did not know that.. I appreciate you taking the time to write that.. you sure know your stuff! Hope it never happens to goober D:

Attachments

• IMG_20140702_122300.jpg
    IMG_20140702_122300.jpg
    253.1 KB · Views: 191
Back
Top Bottom