plane flight with my PC

I don't think you can bring the cham with you into CA without a CITES permit. And, there may be import permits you need from CA as well. All cham species are subject to international CITES regulations even if they are cbb. I think there is a shorter permit process that covers personal pets, but I don't know the details. It can take months to get the paperwork. Are you moving there permanently? When?

Here's a link you need to read. If I am wrong, someone wiser please correct me!

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/amphe.shtml

That's is correct. They are CITES Appendix II animals and need an export licence issued from the country of export (The USA in this case). There is a special form for personal pets, you will have to check with your local CITES office. Canada doesn't require any special import permits for health issues when it comes to reptiles and amphibians, or non-commercial imports.
However, IATA regulations are very concise on the transpot of reptiles. You can Google it and interpet it at your leasure. But, basically, the Chameleon has to be packed in a specific shipping box, and must be shipped cargo. The reptile cannot travel in the flight cabin.

That's is correct. They are CITES Appendix II animals and need an export licence issued from the country of export (The USA in this case). There is a special form for personal pets, you will have to check with your local CITES office. Canada doesn't require any special import permits for health issues when it comes to reptiles and amphibians, or non-commercial imports.
However, IATA regulations are very concise on the transpot of reptiles. You can Google it and interpet it at your leasure. But, basically, the Chameleon has to be packed in a specific shipping box, and must be shipped cargo. The reptile cannot travel in the flight cabin.

FYI: CITES is the acronym for the Convention on International Trade in Endangered and Threatened Species. It regulates transport, sale, and trade in wildllife and wildlife products. Its original purpose was to end illegal sale of endangered animals or items made from them like peregrine falcons, rhinos, elephants, etc. But, many many other species could be at risk if trade wasn't controlled in some way, so the treaty was expanded to protect them as well. Specific animals or plants are listed on one of several Appendices which define how tightly trade is controlled (based on how vulnerable the species is to over-collection and risk of extinction). What gets listed is negotiated between nations that signed the treaty. Because chameleons are listed on Appendix II, trade is controlled by permits and annual quotas. Anyone taking or sending one over an international border between countries that signed the CITES treaty must get a permit first. Appendix I species cannot move between countries unless it is for species recovery programs, research, etc. A pretty rough explanation, but I hope it helps. You may not want to bring your cham or won't have time.

pc? to canada

by pc ?, do you mean panther chameleon, parsons chameleon , personal computer or what ?

if you are planning taking your cham to canada, you may want to check with canadian customs before hand and would probably be a good idea to research the entire subject and also check with canadian wildlife and agricultural officials first, as agencies arent always up to speed on what another agency may require.

for a huge list of reasons, your cham maybe denied entry (maybe your chams got a DUI?!), that would be a horrible thing to find out, just as you were boarding the plane. (nothing worse than a drunk driving cham)

it could conceivably involve permits/possible verification of origin/port inspection/or even quarantine.

ime, the return trip to the US is even more likely to generate similar issues.
they are likely to require a wildlife import permit, and a reptile importers license, possible quarantine/ vet inspection, there could also be substantial fees involved.

any of those things alone could result in the loss of your cham, especially if you werent prepared to deal with them and didnt find out until you were at the airport. if you have an official assure you that none of these things will be an issue, i would get it in writing with contact info, and carry the document with you just encase.

the us wildlife importation laws are a real fumblefud of affairs and the participating agencies are often at odds. i would just assume because it is not only an exotic, but a reptile as well, that they are not going to treat it as a personal pet.

it would be even worse to get your cham to canada, and then find out you couldnt get him back to the us, (unless you were planning on staying).

personally, if the option is available, you might want to consider leaving your cham at home, having a cham sitter while you are gone. imo, the chances of him getting sick while you were gone, are far less of a risk than the complications you might run into while trying to tranport him internationally. he may get less than optimum care but that is far better than being confiscated. jmo

Back
Top Bottom