Plant lights

Juliaf3

Established Member
What plant lights do you guys use? I'm completely clueless in this area- want to get a light for my pothos, but want to be sure it's safe for my panther. In my Jackson's cage, my schefflera has had no problems what so every growing, and there's no light specifically for plants in there. Just his basking light and UVB

you need a 6500k light for plants. i use a linear fluorescent bulb and it does wonders on live plants.

Alright awesome! I was so nervous! Just want to make sure I don't put something on top of his cage that will blind him! Thanks for the info!

Any "daylight" bulb should be OK. 6500k is the color spectrum you want for plants. CFLs work and are cheaper, but don't cover nearly as much area as linear fluorescent lights do. The linear ones are around $7 at Walmart.

Any "daylight" bulb should be OK. 6500k is the color spectrum you want for plants. CFLs work and are cheaper, but don't cover nearly as much area as linear fluorescent lights do. The linear ones are around $7 at Walmart.

Thank you very much

Hey I'm gonna show you a bulb- tell me what it means if you know image.jpg

No problem! The pricing and selection of light bulbs aren't very accurate online so just stop by a store and take a look! I'm sure they'll have what your looking for.

Will this light allow plants that bloom to continue to bloom, or would you need a metal halide for that?:confused:

I think blooming is dependent on season and the light spectrum, so to force a plant to bloom you would need a different bulb. Although, I am not a botanist so I can't say for sure!

Im pretty sure you need to add more red to the spectrum for flowering. If you can find something in the 2700k range added to the 6500k you should get good flowering.

Carl

Im pretty sure you need to add more red to the spectrum for flowering. If you can find something in the 2700k range added to the 6500k you should get good flowering.

Carl

He is exactly right buy a cheap dome lamp at lowes and a two way light socket and compact floresent lights one kool 6500k and when you want it to bloom warm 2700k cfl witch replicates fall winter sun

He is exactly right buy a cheap dome lamp at lowes and a two way light socket and compact floresent lights one kool 6500k and when you want it to bloom warm 2700k cfl witch replicates fall winter sun

Bloom as in, bloom flowers? I have a schefflera in jackson cage, and pothos in panther cage.

I use a 6500k LED bulb. I like them they are bright and add a negligible amount of additional heat. Was about 12$ at loses. Looks just light a regular incandescent bulb and fits in my current fixture

Carl

Thanks for the info. I was wanting to get a Hibiscus, but in the past when I got flowering plants after the blooms fell off they didn't stop growing, just wouldn't bloom.

Back
Top Bottom