Prayers for my Little Cami

CamiGirl89

Cami, since the day I got her from a PetsMart, has had many neurological issues. Her vet has been working with me to keep her healthy and happy for as long as we can, and for the first year of her life, she was a normal chameleon. She had had some sort of seizure at about 9 months old, and her vet could only link it to possible genetic factors, such as inbreeding and so forth. She had very bad conditions at the PetsMart (which is why I got her out of there). She would be climbing, then completely freeze, fall to the bottom of the enclosure, then continue to just be locked-up there for several moments. About 2 months ago, she started seizing more frequently. I knew at this point that we were going to start having some issues. The vet recommended I move her to a shorter cage until I noticed a difference. Now, however, she has produced a clutch of eggs. She has been trying to dig holes for 2 days now, and has decided only to dig a hole and lay on her side in the laying bin. She is going to the vet's office tomorrow, and I am very worried about the decision that we will come to. She is only 1 year and 8(ish) months old, and it breaks my heart to see my other chams thriving while she suffers. I hope we get some good news about her soon, please keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

That is awful. That poor little girl. She is lucky to have you all this time. I will have you both in my thoughts and prayers.

Thank you both, we appreciate it. I was hoping since it had been so long between instances, that it had improved and was something that would rarely happen. She has at least climbed onto a branch now and fallen asleep there for the night. I will keep you posted.

Goodness!! That's just such a tough situation to be in. I pray for your lil girl. Best wishes at the vet tommrow! Your a good person for not giving up on her when she needs you most. Have faith

Bless you CamiGirl for making such an effort to improve Cami's life. Take heart in the fact that you're doing a fantastic job & you have a lot of support! Much love

keep your chin up

trust me your efforts are not in vein bud!!!!!

if i had the money id open a chameleon sanctuary!!

Poor little thing, what a complicated problem for you both to be dealing with. Our thoughts go with both of you to the vet's office today, I know that whatever you choose will be in her best interests.

Just got back from the vet (after locking my keys in the car, ugh). Good news for now! He thinks that her body does not absorb calcium very well, and that this is causing her to have more seizures. She actually went to a new vet today, because her usual vet called in sick this-morning. The new vet was pleased with how she looked. I brought her supplements, vitamins, lighting... everything. He said that his only guess was that, with her retained clutch getting ready to be laid any day now, and with her bad genetics, she wasn't absorbing calcium like most chameleons do. He gave me a bottle of liquid calcium, and she is to now receive that daily for the next 2 weeks, then every other day for the rest of her life. He said at this rate and in the shape she appears to be in, he could see her living a normal life-span! SO happy to hear this! He said I should see differences within the next 10 days. If I do not see differences, then this is a much more serious problem, and we will have to look into other things. So let's hope this medication works well! :)

Well that sounds like good news. I'm hoping all goes just as the vet thinks and that Cami will live a long healthy life.

I will post an update in 10 days or so. She is doing very well taking her liquid calcium, she seems to like it :) So relieved that there is a possibility of her living a normal life, totally worth paying $10 a month to keep her healthy!

Back
Top Bottom