pygmy chameleon breeding pair- newbie questions

mjsimet

Hi everyone- Today on a whim I picked up a 1.1 pair of pygmy chameleons. I don't know the exact species, but they look just like every other pygmy I've seen and kind of have a horizontal line running down their sides. They're set up in an 18''x18''x24'' zoomed with a 60 watt bulb and a uv bulb as well on top. I'm adding an automister tomorrow. After bringing them home and putting them in the new set up (with tons of branches and coconut husk soil) they seemed to be settling in really well. I threw about 12 pinhead crickets in there and they gorged themselves! My question is, can a male and female be 'incompatible'? I saw the male approach the female and the female began rocking back and forth and her color flared. I know this is all happening on the first day I brought them home so I can't assume much, but at the same time I want to make sure I have a pair that wont fight/ will hopefully mate. Thanks for the information, I'm new to chams but not new to reptiles- have a black throat monitor (V. albigularis), from the other end of the lizard spectrum.

Pygmys are not typical chameleons. They do better in a a Vivarium type setup with humidity levels over 60% at all times. Basking is not recommended/required. Temperatures over 80 can be lethal to pygmies. They enjoy high humidity and lower temps (mid 60s to lower 70s)

If you could post pics of your setup and your Pygmys we could help you tweak your setup and identify the species of your Pygmys.

As far as being comparable Pygmys live to breed. As long as you have a male and a female then they will be fine. If she's not interested should could be gravid already.

You can house them together in that size enclosure no problem as long as it is 1.1 and not 2 males. Males are very territorial and will fight.

pics of setup and chameleons

Here's a pic of the set up. I'm adding more vines and a mister tomorrow. Also included are a pic of the male and female. I appreciate the help! You said a basking spot is not necessary, so should I just remove the 60watt bulb all together? Then there would only be the UV bulb.

Attachments

• IMG_20140322_222655_294.jpg
    IMG_20140322_222655_294.jpg
    261.4 KB · Views: 224
  • IMG_20140322_222648_184.jpg
    IMG_20140322_222648_184.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 170
  • IMG_20140322_222635_842.jpg
    IMG_20140322_222635_842.jpg
    260 KB · Views: 234
As far as the basking bulb goes. Yes remove it.

Do you monitor temperature and humidity in the cage? It is a necessity for these guys. What are they currently?

If you don't mind me asking who/ where did you get these? And did they provide you with the recommended husbandry?

The reason I ask is that the setup needs a lot of work to make your Pygmys feel at home. They like feeling safe and protected and they love live plants. You need to add many branches and pathways for them to travel on as well as some type of plant that can provide a canopy so they can get out if the UVB if they wish.

I will attach photos of proper Pygmy setups that you can try to mimic your cage off of. The firs image is MelissaB's Pygmy set up. The second two are mine.

Also is coco husk the only thing you have on the bottom?

What do you plan on feeding them and what's your supplementation schedule gonna look like?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 284
As I said. The first image is credited to MelissaB and her enclosure. The second two are mine.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 184
Seeing those makes me realize how many changes I need to make. what are some easy growing plant species you'd recommend? and what should I change the substrate to? Should I grow the plants right into the substrate? I only used the cocohusk because it was just some extra stuff I had laying around. Currently the tank is at 71 degrees. I'll have to get a hygrometer to measure the humidity though. I appreciate the help and I will be making all these changes tomorrow (with pics to prove). As far as feeding goes, will calcium/ d3 dusted crickets and mealworms be okay every few days?

Josh's frogs has everything you need. Here is what I order in a typical setup.

ABG Mix (8 quart/2 Gallo
Josh's Frogs False Bottom (10 Quarts)
Magnolia Leaves (1 Gallon)
Sheet Moss (1 gallon)
18x18x24 Tropical Vivarium Plant Kit
New Zealand Long Fiber Sphagnum Moss
Substrate Barrier

Yes plant the plants in the substrate.

Plus I'll usually get a couple ficus or umbrella plants and bromeliads along with a bunch of small twigs and sticks that are sanitized.

The layers would be. False bottom, substrate barrier, ABG mix, then you can scatter your mosses around the tank and your leaf litter.

Good luck trying to get them to eat mealworms. In my experience they really don't like them. But each one can be different. I've had success with crickets, small isopods (Dubia), baby silks, bean beetles and fruitflies.

Yes get a digital hygrometer. The dial ones are crap. And high humidity is MUST for these little guys.

All this info is fantastic. there's a lot of care sheets available, once your basic husbandry is sorted then they are very easy to care for. If you add spring tails and tropical woodlice to your substrate then you have a perfect little clean up crew too, meaning less poking around in the viv- these chameleons do not like handling as it stresses them. I would say in hindsight buying an animal on impulse is never a good idea, however you are doing everything right by finding out the correct way to look after them now . Here's one of my terrariums
ymebe7av.jpg

Update!

Here is a pic of the cage now! and a pic of the male and female.

Attachments

• IMG_20140325_233758_685.jpg
    IMG_20140325_233758_685.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_20140325_233822_799.jpg
    IMG_20140325_233822_799.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 172
Looking good but i think a ficus or schefflera would provide more foliage in that upper left corner. Also im pretty sure the 2nd pic is of a beautiful male.

schefflera

Looking good but i think a ficus or schefflera would provide more foliage in that upper left corner. Also im pretty sure the 2nd pic is of a beautiful male.

Yeah I'm thinking of putting one there tomorrow. Should fill it out better.

Here is a pic of the cage now! and a pic of the male and female.

Much improvement! Great Job.
As stated by other members, I would add some kind of plant that would provide a "canopy" effect, like a Scheff, or Ficus to give them places to get out of the UVB when they want. I would also go outside and grab some extra twigs and small sticks to give them a bunch more pathways to crawl around. Just make sure you santitize them first.

Here is a pic of the female.

That is a great example of a Female Brev!

Have you seen the male display for her yet? Do you notice him "harassing" her at all? You shouldnt have any problems, your enclosure is large enough just add some more places for them to go and you should have no issue. :) Great job at taking the initiative to make it right, and Thank You!

my female

Much improvement! Great Job.
As stated by other members, I would add some kind of plant that would provide a "canopy" effect, like a Scheff, or Ficus to give them places to get out of the UVB when they want. I would also go outside and grab some extra twigs and small sticks to give them a bunch more pathways to crawl around. Just make sure you santitize them first.

That is a great example of a Female Brev!

Have you seen the male display for her yet? Do you notice him "harassing" her at all? You shouldnt have any problems, your enclosure is large enough just add some more places for them to go and you should have no issue. :) Great job at taking the initiative to make it right, and Thank You!

The first day I brought them home, I saw the male change color very quickly and approach the female from behind, although she wasnt in the mood for any of it. she rocked back and forth and he left her alone. She is looking very swollen towards her back legs though, at first I thought it was from eating so many crickets but now I see that its probably not just from a full stomach and perhaps she is gravid!! I will keep watch on her.

Back
Top Bottom