Replacing my old heat lamp

SFSalz

Hello everyone,

I'm sure this issue been discussed already, but I am now in need of action. The current bulb I use - Philips Duramax 65w 120v 610 lumens (flood lamp) is no longer available on Amazon. I just ordered what I thought would be a good replacement but they sent me an LED bulb. Ugh.. Even though it was the same measurement as my previous bulb, it was way too bright for my girl and surprise, it was giving off very little heat. This is Samantha's heat source. The arrangement has been ideal now for three years. She is thriving! I do not want to change anything up on her. So yeah, I can go get a heat bulb from ZooMed, but feel this will be trial and error and I don't want to stress her. The current flood lamp bulb is about nine/ten inches away from her perch. I just don't want to change things up on her. These flood lamps really worked! But is everything LED these days? Thanks Chamlovers.

Thanks MissSkittles, I'm visiting that website now.
Samantha.jpg

Make sure to do some temperature testing. Even replacing with the same bulb model can have a 10c swing. And if you are going with a completely different model, you dont know if its a wide flood or narrow etc. So you cant just go my watts or lumens.

Hi nightanole, thanks. Indeed, this is my concern. I am really upset I have to transition to something new. I did order a bulb from lightyourreptiles.com. I will be monitoring the heat and I hope it's not too bright. We have a system down and I must tell everyone, my veiled does not like it hot and she can take 60 degree temps at night. She is thriving. I also built a "cat walk" out of her enclosure and into my home office. It's a network of dead, dried-out branches. She gets a lot of exercise and loves to explore. I hide her feeding bowl from time to time so she has to do some "hunting." Oh, Sam is a rescue animal. You should have seen her when I first got her. I guess maybe a should write a blog regarding the experience? Will anyone read it? Thanks everyone. Yes, I'm ready for a NosyBe. (But they are too damn expensive. I would be a great foster dad. Hint. Hint.) I've had Jacksons, Panthers, Carpets, and Veileds.

She is thriving. I also built a "cat walk" out of her enclosure and into my home office. It's a network of dead, dried-out branches. She gets a lot of exercise and loves to explore. I hide her feeding bowl from time to time so she has to do some "hunting." Oh, Sam is a rescue animal. You should have seen her when I first got her. I guess maybe a should write a blog regarding the experience? Will anyone read it?
I absolutely love to hear that our beautiful and spicy veiled ladies are living a healthy and enriched life! Way too often it’s the poor veiled girls who have the harshest and shortest of lives.
I would most definitely read your blog about your sweetie and it may be of help to others who rescue a chameleon. 🥰

Not sure if you found an option but I have used these the last 6 years. I really like them.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 5.59.25 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-05 at 5.59.25 PM.png
    818.7 KB · Views: 10
Not sure if you found an option but I have used these the last 6 years. I really like them.

That is a non directional bulb, not a flood. Do you have it in a hood with a reflector, or just use at as a ball of heat and keep it closer to the cage than an average halogen flood? Hmm might even be able to keep it low on the side and have basking and heat rising at the same time :p

That is a non directional bulb, not a flood. Do you have it in a hood with a reflector, or just use at as a ball of heat and keep it closer to the cage than an average halogen flood? Hmm might even be able to keep it low on the side and have basking and heat rising at the same time :p
I have it in a dome that has the reflector and run it on a herpstat. Have had wonderful success with it the last 6 years. No issue of thermal burns and it pulls the exact temps I have the herpstat set for.

I have it in a dome that has the reflector and run it on a herpstat. Have had wonderful success with it the last 6 years. No issue of thermal burns and it pulls the exact temps I have the herpstat set for.

I cant believe they are still making (and are really advanced) herpstats. I remember having one in the 1990s to go with my flex-a-watt (which also somehow is still made). It was revolutionary that it dimmed the bulbs and didnt just turn them on and off like all the other controllers.

I cant believe they are still making (and are really advanced) herpstats. I remember having one in the 1990s to go with my flex-a-watt (which also somehow is still made). It was revolutionary that it dimmed the bulbs and didnt just turn them on and off like all the other controllers.
Yeah I love mine... Could not imagine not having one.

Back
Top Bottom