Senegal Cham for Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, so I've figured it out I believe. I will be getting a Senegal chameleon, and this tank should be fine for an adult even (requirement is 20-30 gallon for 2-3, I have a 33 gallon and will only be getting one for 19.99 (+tax, shipping, etc.) just got my uvb light for 35, a golden Pothos as well, a timer for either the humidifier or the light. Have plenty of stuff for him to hide in and climb on. Gonna be a lucky chameleon I think. Just to make sure he is, what else do I need?

You need to research. And then research some more. When your done researching, go and research some more.

Based on your posts, I honestly think you need to do a lot more research and save up a lot more money. You ask very basic questions and seem to reject well-intentioned and solid advice. I'm not trying to be mean, but these are the posts that come back in six months begging for help because their chameleon is sick and they have no money or their mom won't let them take "just a lizard" to the vet. Best of luck.

Your research should have led to know that most Senegal Chameleons you find online or in pet stores are wild caught. Wild caught animals ARE NOT for beginners as they are most of the time very sickly from the importation process. Sure they are cheap, but you will spend much, much more on a proper set-up and veterinary attention to get him or her healthy. It’s a shame a basic UV light costs more than the pet itself but that is another discussion for another time.

Please do not buy a wild caught Senegal. Many people have given you great advice for captive bred species (I second the Furcifer lateralis idea) and that animal will be so much more rewarding for you as a first time owner.

Here are some random thoughts on wild caught animals for you to read:

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/trace/776-dealing-wild-caught-chameleon.html

Trace --> That's a great blog post. This should be developed into a sticky for WC FAQs.

Nicky, I know it seems like we are being hard on you. We sincerely want you to succeed and don't want to see you and your new cham be set up for a bad situation. Bad for the cham, bad for your wallet.

I really think if you want a chameleon you should get a juvenile veiled chameleon and plan to upgrade to a larger mesh cage in six or eight months. You have time to save up for that (or better yet, ask for it for Christmas!) Veileds are very hardy, about the easiest chameleon to care for, and I think they are look very cool. Curly tail and a big pope hat! You should be able to get one a Veiled for close to your current budget, and if you do have questions or need help, there are hundreds of people here on the forum with experience with Veileds. Not so with Senegals or some of the other less common chameleons.

Buy a male, buy from one of the forum sponsors here, and save up some funds for a vet reserve just in case.

I don't like veiled personally. Jackson's my mom doesn't want, she says it's because of the horns. I really need something small, not as small as the Pygmys. Something like the Fischer's, flapneck, or Senegal. Veileds get too big as I don't have enough space.

I've been researching since last Christmas. I think that should be enough researching.

As an interesting (to some) footnote; I got my first chameleon in 1998 and my first reptile 30+ years ago. I’m still not finished researching.

I’ve kept Fischers, Senegals and Flapnecks. None of those species are what I consider small. The Flapnecks can reach upwards of 14”. The Senegals are about 10” or so. They need a medium to large cage. Either of these is rarely, if ever, bred in captivity.

The Fischers (Kinyongia multituberculata) are a little smaller body wise (they have super long tails) yes but they are incredibly active, especially the males and they absolutely need a large cage. Again, most you will see are WC.

Sometimes you see captive bred Trioceros sternfeldi (Tanzanian Montane Dwarf Chameleon) for sale. These are fairly hardly little chameleons but again ensure they are CB before purchasing as WC specimens are very fragile.

This is crazy. So most senegals are wild caught, what about Fischer/flapneck?

If you read the post right before you asked this question you will see "Either of these is rarely, if ever, bred in captivity", and "Again, most you will see are WC".
You need to listen to the experts on here, they know what they are talking about. And when they give advice, read it.

Please don't get a chameleon.... Your getting yourself way in over your head... These are not corn snakes or leopard geckos where you set them up and forget about them. These extremely docile creatures are very very sensitive. Definitely not a child pet.

Well looks like your mind is made up Nicky! I wish you and your new friend the best.

Please know that the people on this forum have vast years of combined experience and are really trying to do what is best for this amazing animal.

Earlier the tone was a little frank, but you would be surprised how many help me I killed my cham posts a lot of these people have seen. I personally have had herps for as long as I can remember but have only had chams for maybe 4 years now. There is a lot I don't know and a lot I thought I knew. I just recently joined this forum but have looked at it for years. There is so much knowledge here and you would do well to listen to what people have to say.

I'm afraid if you keep moving in this direction and shrugging of very good advice there may not be advice given when you really need it. I think your a good kid and will make the right choices in the end.

Ben

I took care of a sick baby horned frog on a mission trip for a week, I've had reptiles and amphibians for 8 years, and have been researching Chams for 9 months. While you might be chameleon people, I am a reptile person in general, and am hoping to be a herpatologist. While I appreciate your advice, I am perfectly prepared according to every other website and curriculum. I will make a cage extension for my Senegal and he will be fine. He will only get to ten inches maybe only 6 at the minimum. I'll mist him 3 times a day, give him 3 crickets a day and occasionally worms. Again, I have all the requirements. I came here for advice, and I got it, and will be taking it, but not from the people doubting me. Thanks to the people who actually gave me something useful.

Chameleons are more complicated than other reptiles. Most people don't get this. I would suggest getting an automated mister and setting it for 4 times a day for at least two minutes. Because they won't drink unless it's a prolonged period of misting. I would also suggest taking your chameleon to a vet in a week following your chams arrival. I would also suggest feeding as much as your cham will eat in the beginning. Don't stick to diet straight out of the box. Also remember, just because they say their chams are captive bred doesn't mean they actually are. I would ask specific questions to figure out if they are.

I would also vary your diet from just crickets and a few worms. Senegals, considering most are going to be wild caught, need a large variety of food or they end up going on hunger strikes. And just because you have met the requirements, remember that is the absolute MINIMUM you are meeting, it doesn't mean your chameleon will be necessarily thriving, just surviving instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom