Shedding, handling and moving!

Farmers

Hi

I've recently got a female veiled cham. She's 11 months old and her previous owner wanted to increase her snake collection however she hasn't coped very well with the move. She was fine with her previous owners who got her out a 2 or 3 times a week, however she's not happy whenever I open her viv, and if I try to coax her onto my hand she gapes and hisses. She's eating fine, and has started shedding over the last few days. Could her shyness by due to her shedding? Or is she struggling to settle in?

At a loss with her really as she will sometimes eat waxworms off my hand, but not all the time.

Has anyone experienced this? What should i do? Should I just leave her be for a while, only opening the viv to feed, clean and spray? Or should I push the whole handling thing and hope she doesn't bite? She never bit her previous owners.

Thanks!

Hi
Sounds like she is having some difficulty adjusting to her new home but try not to worry they can be sensitive little creatures and get used to routine more than people give them credit for!

Sounds like she isn't distressed as she is eating and even from your hand too which is a good sign. Just give her some time and don't force the issue as you may frighten her a lot. Just keep up your presence in her daily routine and she will soon come around.

Wow 20 views but no responses :-(

Does anybody have any pearls of wisdom for me?

Well, first, hello and welcome :). There is plenty of advice and help and inspiration on here, don't know why it took so long to reply to you.......
Anyway, most Chameleons will take a while to settle in to a new place (and get used to a new person of course). The fact that she is eating is good, but you always have to be patient with them...

Anyway - there's a form which people prefer you to fill in if you want to ask for help again...

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

Pictures are helpful

Here are a couple of my favourite blogs, in case to want to read some more care info. -

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/chameleonsinmyhouse/395-veiled-chameleon-care-sheet.html

https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/jannb/345-egg-laying-laying-bin.html

it good to hear that you decided to take in the cham and give her a new home. i had just recieved my new cham which is about a few months old, not totally sure but like thinks hes about 3/4 months. when i first got him he ran everytime i opened his cage. now i feel like we are making a little bit more progress everyday. i usually take him out of his cage every morning and take him outside ot sit on his hibiscus. he did not like it at first but now i dont think he minds. i can now open his cage and move around in it alil bit and he wont run away. he is still scared a little bit and gets a lil angry too but i think he is workin with the idea of me handling him. my only suggestion is ot work slowly, you wont wake up one day and she will be nice and willing to come out of her cage. just keep trying to hand feed her and try and get her out once and awhile. but when you get her out try and have a place to put her to free rande. this way when you continue to take her out she will begin to accept it because she knows you wont hurt her and you are putting her in a place she likes maybe even more than her cage.

Thanks for all of your advice

So I'm a bit confused now - if she doesn't come out of her own accord (by climbing onto my hand for example) should i pick her up and get her out? I'm a bit concerned I may lose a finger if I do!

She has more or less finished her shed now which will hopefully put her in a better mood! Do they have a "blue" period like some snakes do? My corn shed at the same time as my cham and he goes into hiding for about a week in preparation for shedding and wondered if that could also explain her temperament?

Thanks!

usually what I have to do with both of my guys is use a stick to get them out if I even reach toward them they gape and hiss and go into attack mode, so I only every take my guys out to clean and to take them to the vet. I dont wanna piss them off just cuz I wanna hold em.

Thanks for all of your advice

So I'm a bit confused now - if she doesn't come out of her own accord (by climbing onto my hand for example) should i pick her up and get her out? I'm a bit concerned I may lose a finger if I do!

She has more or less finished her shed now which will hopefully put her in a better mood! Do they have a "blue" period like some snakes do? My corn shed at the same time as my cham and he goes into hiding for about a week in preparation for shedding and wondered if that could also explain her temperament?

Thanks!

i would try and wait for her to come to you - if you try to grab her she is likely to continue holding onto a branch which may result in an injury to her leg or feet. if you really need to get her out using a stick for her to climb on is good or ive found stroking their feet sometimes encourages them to pick them up. as for the shedding blues i think many cham owners have noticed the same thing - they do tend to get grumpy whilst its happening!

Back
Top Bottom