Should I breed?!?!

I have a female veiled and know they are going to lay eggs. I was wondering if I should breed. I'm a new owner. I also was wandering if I could keep the male with the female their entire lives.

I would say definitively NO. Its not an easy process. If the only reason is that the female will lay eggs anyway for sure NO.

The male and female cannot be kept together. Only for the few minutes of copulation.

I am a proponent in ALL pet or display animals that the only reason someone should be breeding is to improve or preserve the species. Just because your dog goes into heat is no reason to have puppies.... They have to be cared for fed...ALOT..and homed. It is not a profitable venture if you are not doing on a large scale and I would say if you don't have a veiled with impressive lineage then there will just be a lot of little chameleons that you will probably end up giving away after spending a lot of time and money on rearing them. That is IF you are successful in incubating the eggs for almost a year.

Enjoy her, give her a laying bin, research the ways to reduce her chances of laying (I know it has to do with feeding and temp) and leave the breeding to the professionals. :eek:)

Just my 2 cents and yes I am pretty passionate about this.

I have a female veiled and know they are going to lay eggs. I was wondering if I should breed. I'm a new owner. I also was wandering if I could keep the male with the female their entire lives.

welcome to the forum

no, you cannot keep them together.
She doesn't necessarily have to lay eggs - there are ways to keep female veileds such that they need not do so.

after you've had her successfully for a year, when you have a little experience at least, only then start thinking about breeding.
there are some informative links here: https://www.chameleonforums.com/blogs/sandrachameleon/63-links-regarding-breeding.html

Please don't have your animals breed. At least not yet. You ask many beginner questions- even one in this thread. It is great that you are asking and learning, but it is also an indication that you need more time to get more experience prior to trying your hand at breeding. The world has plenty of veileds anyway- there is no rush. Take time first to get to know and enjoy and appreciate and observe your animals for a year or two...

Last edited:
Prepare your wallet. Breeding chameleons can cost you around $2000, and no that's not an exaggeration. You can cut the costs if you plan ahead of time like breeding your own feeders and making your own cages but with a "cheap" chameleon like a veiled expect little to no return profit.

Back
Top Bottom