Should i buy a veiled chameleon

ChamTeen

Im a 16 year old guy and im realy realy into chameleons. Iv had discusions with my mom and other family members about me geting a baby 2-3 month old veiled chameleon this summer. Iv done alot of research on websites about alot of types of chameleons but mainly panther and veiled chameleons. Im kinda confident that i have plenty of knowledge about them to take care of it but i am scared and nervous to buy one because i had one about two years ago and it didnt live past a month.. So im here asking peoples opinion on weather i should try to buy and care for a veiled chameleon now that i know alot more about them. So dose anyone think i should maybe wait a few years or should i try again?

If you have the resources and time needed and are able to maintain a consistent environment and feeding schedule long-term and are also able to maintain interest long term then it may be for you.

Just realize that the up-front cost is pretty high to do things right, especially if you are not going to be home all day and need automation like timers and misters. There is also always the possibility of vet bills even in a perfect environment, so you should take that in to account. Probably having a $800-$1000 budget would be safest since there can be all kinds of unanticipated costs.

Where did you get your previous chameleon? If he came from a pet store it is possible he had preexisting health issues. You can help to avoid those by getting your chameleon from a reputable breeder.

I would read the care sheets and see if you think they are something you can pull off, and also ask yourself whether this is something you are excited enough about to remain interested for years, or if it will just become a burden and you will end up not providing the care needed.

If you post how you would set up the environment, that would probably also tell people here whether you already have enough knowledge or need to do more research.

Can't really add much to what sharp said only thing I would add is you're young and with good care these guys live 5-7 years on average. So what you plan to do in the future is something you need to think about aswel. He might not fit into your plans especially if you plan on going away to college for example.

You've come to the best place to learn anyway. This is a great caresheet on veiled care.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/care/caresheets/veiled/

And just to emphasize what sharp said chams are very expensive to care for properly. I know when I was 16 I was in school and had no job and no money. Your circumstances might be diferent I don't know but I feel like it's an important point to make.

You MUST have a back up individual to care for your animal if you go out of town for even a couple of days , a sibling or extended family or neighbor, someone who is not squeamish about the handling of insect feeders. Get a firm commitment from them before you take the plunge , I have a 15 year old son who covers for me when I am gone ,everything is automated , and he tends to overfeed ,but were it not for him my lizards would be hurting. Chameleons are a BIG commitment , but also a very educational and rewarding experience. None of my 3 teen children could handle it on their own. But I will not judge you or your level of responsibility, only you, and your folks can do that ,and I wish you the best of luck in making a good decision.

There are quite a few teenage keepers on here who are very knowledgeable and do a great job, but my advice would be to make sure your family is completely on board. I first got into chameleons with my son who was 16 at the time and even though he is out of the house I still have chams! Vet bills can be expensive and you also have to have fecals done twice a year as well as all of the feeders, supplements, bulbs, etc... Having your family consider your new cham a " family pet" will make sure he gets any vet care he may need. Check out the classifieds here- Dez and Jannb have an awesome clutch of veileds!

As a teenager, i would probably suggest to you to go out and buy yourself a nice ball python morph instead. My 1st reptile as a teenager was a bearded dragon. I thought to myself, "Well, bearded dragons are easy to care for, I am going to get that cool chameleon I saw in the pet shop!" Needless to say, it was no where near on the same level when it came down to caring for that chameleon as it was for my bearded dragon. If you go to your local pet smart, and go check the reptiles, on the labels telling you what is inside the cages is rating indicator letting the buyer know what kind of experience you need to care for the animal inside the cage. Ball pythons, boas, and bearded dragons are for beginners. Then there is an intermediate level, and finally an advanced level. Chameleons are in the advanced level. They should also have an indicator for cost in my opinion. Chameleon would be in the high level for cost. I won't tell you not to get one, but you need a good income to support a chameleon purchase, also space, and a lot of time every single day to properly care for it.

Can't really add much to what sharp said only thing I would add is you're young and with good care these guys live 5-7 years on average. So what you plan to do in the future is something you need to think about aswel. He might not fit into your plans especially if you plan on going away to college for example.

A very important point! Are you planning to leave for college or move for a job in the next year or so? Definitely need to consider your cham if you have one. It might become an inconvenience or not even permitted where you end up.

I would make sure you get a healthy CB one to start. Many people who have chameleons die in the first month purchase sick animals from places such as petsmart. I would start off with one from a breeder, there are many on this forum.

If you want a chameleon, I would get a chameleon. Taking care of a chameleon is very different than taking care of most reptiles so there will be little to no benefit in owning a different one. I just graduated college, and my dorm mates were fine with my chameleon. Same with my land lord when I moved out of the dorms. I own my house now, so my collection has expanded greatly. :)

I have thought alot about the future and stuff like college but i dont plan on going anywere but i dont know things could come up. And yes i have thought about somone to take care of the cham wile im away for whatever reason that may be.

As to how id set it up im planing on geting the 24x24x48 cage the one with screen walls and stuff first and seting the cage in my room and find a good spot for it. Then i would get the artificial plants and vines from a pets mart store and set all the decorations up ahead of time and geting the lamps for basking spots and everything form petsmart also. Then im planing to buy a baby 2-3 month old baby veiled chameleon from the FlChams website this summer. And il buy some different types of worms and crickets from petsmart also and i will gutload the crickets. I also want to get experience with chameleons and take care of more of them in the future.

And my previous chameleon was a gift for my birthday that my mom bought from petsmart. The employee actualy told me it was fine for the chameleon to live in an aquarium. I was angerd when i learned they arent suposed to be in aquariums. But the chameleon didnt last past a month and i was devistated.

Thanks for all the feedback guys im worried that i may not be able to keep up with the money my family dosnt have much and i actualy cant get a job because problems with my social security when i was born so untill thats fixed i cant get my learners or anything like that. So im worried that wont be able to care for him fully to make the chameleon live a happy long life. If things dont turn out good for money wise then i will put off the chameleon untill things turn around im not going to keep a chameleon under bad conditions and dooming the animal or anything.
Thanks again with the feed back and the advice every small detail helps :)

if you go to college there are ways around the rules against pets, usually the RAs will give you a notice of planned visits in which you can either hide your cage under your bed if its tall enough or take it to your friends place for a day or two until the RA does what it needs to and then you bring it back and care for it as usual. I have known people to keep kittens in my dorm, and puppies, and those make noises, it would be easy to hide a chameleon, only the cage is a problem in my opinion lol

Back
Top Bottom