sleeping upside down

linkcraft

IMG_8373.jpeg

Is it ok to let him sleep like this? He just woke up because i wanted to move him.

They do this something, just let him. Waking them up and moving them is really stressful and not recommendable

I saw mine sleeping with his half of his body upside down while the other half is against the wall screen.
When I am reminded how whales sleep…I put less worry about it.

Hi. :) Chameleons will sleep in all sorts of odd ways, mainly because they can. I do see a couple of things in your pic that I need to ask about though. Please keep in mind that I wish to help you and your cute little guy.
Since he is young enough to hang and walk upside down like that, he is at risk for burns. Until he’s too big to walk upside down, it’s best to raise your lights at least a few inches above the screen top. I just use little wire baskets from the dollar store to set my lights on. My other concern is that appears to be your uvb light, and it is the type that isn’t able to provide the levels that he needs unless he is in the same position he’s currently in. The standard is a T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb, and then the distance between the uvb light and basking area would be 8-9”. Those screw in uvb lights are one of the biggest causes of metabolic bone disease. :( Going hand in hand with that is using correct supplements. At every feeding you should be lightly dusting all feeders with a phosphorus free calcium without D3. Then one feeding every other week (or twice a month) you should use a good multivitamin and D3 combination, like Repashy calcium plus LoD or ReptiVite with D3. If you can take one more concern from me (sorry, I can be a mother hen at times) it’s that your enclosure looks quite small. Your little cutie will be quickly growing into a big handsome cutie and will be needing as much space as you can give him. The minimum size enclosure for adults is a 2x2x4’. I do love that you have safe live plants. The hammock isn’t something really for chameleons and they have been known to get their claws stuck and pulled out from woven things. When you upgrade his enclosure, you may want to consider Dragon Ledges to hang branches, vines and even plants. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Another option is to attach a garden trellis to the frame, like in my pic below.
If you have any questions or anything, we love to help. We also love just sharing pics of our beauties and the luxury palaces that we set up for them. ;)

IMG_5883.jpeg

Hi. :) Chameleons will sleep in all sorts of odd ways, mainly because they can. I do see a couple of things in your pic that I need to ask about though. Please keep in mind that I wish to help you and your cute little guy.
Since he is young enough to hang and walk upside down like that, he is at risk for burns. Until he’s too big to walk upside down, it’s best to raise your lights at least a few inches above the screen top. I just use little wire baskets from the dollar store to set my lights on. My other concern is that appears to be your uvb light, and it is the type that isn’t able to provide the levels that he needs unless he is in the same position he’s currently in. The standard is a T5 fixture with either ReptiSun 5.0 or Arcadia 6% bulb, and then the distance between the uvb light and basking area would be 8-9”. Those screw in uvb lights are one of the biggest causes of metabolic bone disease. :( Going hand in hand with that is using correct supplements. At every feeding you should be lightly dusting all feeders with a phosphorus free calcium without D3. Then one feeding every other week (or twice a month) you should use a good multivitamin and D3 combination, like Repashy calcium plus LoD or ReptiVite with D3. If you can take one more concern from me (sorry, I can be a mother hen at times) it’s that your enclosure looks quite small. Your little cutie will be quickly growing into a big handsome cutie and will be needing as much space as you can give him. The minimum size enclosure for adults is a 2x2x4’. I do love that you have safe live plants. The hammock isn’t something really for chameleons and they have been known to get their claws stuck and pulled out from woven things. When you upgrade his enclosure, you may want to consider Dragon Ledges to hang branches, vines and even plants. https://dragonstrand.com/dragon-ledges/ Another option is to attach a garden trellis to the frame, like in my pic below.
If you have any questions or anything, we love to help. We also love just sharing pics of our beauties and the luxury palaces that we set up for them. ;)

View attachment 358168
Thanks for your concerns I do have or have ordered the things you have listed the t5 HO is out of frame and the one that comes with the kit it’s just not plugged in
I’m planning on returning everything the kit came with when everything else is supposed to arrive and then I get to go plant shopping to find all the plants that are safe for him to fill in all the gaps when the 24x24x48 enclosure is all set up.

But ya after doing a lot of research those pet stores are just setting people up for failure when they buy a chameleon because they only have half the stuff you need for them and everything else needs to be ordered online.

But I will have to change some things like the hammock. I do have fake branches and plan on using fake branches at least for a little bit because as far as I can tell branches with peeling bark and or from sap producing trees are no good and it seems like that’s all I have around me. And buying sticks are annoyingly expensive.

Last edited:
Thanks for your concerns I do have or have ordered the things you have listed the t5 HO is out of frame and the one that comes with the kit it’s just not plugged in
I’m planning on returning everything the kit came with when everything else is supposed to arrive and then I get to go plant shopping to find all the plants that are safe for him to fill in all the gaps when the 24x24x48 enclosure is all set up.

But ya after doing a lot of research those pet stores are just setting people up for failure when they buy a chameleon because they only have half the stuff you need for them and everything else needs to be ordered online.

But I will have to change some things like the hammock. I do have fake branches and plan on using fake branches at least for a little bit because as far as I can tell branches with peeling bark and or from sap producing trees are no good and it seems like that’s all I have around me. And buying sticks are annoyingly expensive.
Awesome! 🥰 We never know what someone knows/doesn’t know and I figure and ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure. Fluker’s makes some nice foam vines https://www.amazon.com/Fluker-Labs-...897&sprefix=reptile+vines,aps,130&sr=8-8&th=1 and I’ve found these are really sturdy too. https://www.amazon.com/Emours-Flexi...4335897&sprefix=reptile+vines,aps,130&sr=8-23

Back
Top Bottom