Some shed left...

LeoM

Hi, i saw my cham shed for the first time yesterday... hes 5 months old. Yesterday afternoon i took him outside for a little sunlight, and when i took him inside again he began exploding! He started to shed really fast, his dead skin was coming out very quick, and he was trying to get it off all afternoon, he succeded, and at night he started going to the bottom of the cage looking for the dead skin and eating it as if it was food, using his tongue from a distance... Today he still has some dead skin left on his eye lid, on his back and on his side... it's just little spots but im a bit worried, should i rub it off? or wait for him to take it off himself?

thanks

Hi, i saw my cham shed for the first time yesterday... hes 5 months old. Yesterday afternoon i took him outside for a little sunlight, and when i took him inside again he began exploding! He started to shed really fast, his dead skin was coming out very quick, and he was trying to get it off all afternoon, he succeded, and at night he started going to the bottom of the cage looking for the dead skin and eating it as if it was food, using his tongue from a distance... Today he still has some dead skin left on his eye lid, on his back and on his side... it's just little spots but im a bit worried, should i rub it off? or wait for him to take it off himself?

thanks

The eating of the skin is somewhat normal, apparently there are vitamins or minerals that the young cham will eat. However, it is a little like
3657210_std.jpg

Have you given your cham a shower? That seems to help my guy shed. Its worth a shot. Im not too sure on if it is OK to help them shed their stubborn parts. I know my guy still has half his face left from his shed on thursday.

The eating of the skin is somewhat normal, apparently there are vitamins or minerals that the young cham will eat. However, it is a little like
3657210_std.jpg

Have you given your cham a shower? That seems to help my guy shed. Its worth a shot. Im not too sure on if it is OK to help them shed their stubborn parts. I know my guy still has half his face left from his shed on thursday.

hahahah, funny...
do you mean like put him with a plant in the shower? or just mist him with warm water? i did mist him with hot water(it came out nicely warm), but the only bit that he's missing wouldnt come off from that... i guess ill just leave him like you.. from experience... how much time does it take for those parts to come completely off?? thanks for your reply!

hahahah, funny...
do you mean like put him with a plant in the shower? or just mist him with warm water? i did mist him with hot water(it came out nicely warm), but the only bit that he's missing wouldnt come off from that... i guess ill just leave him like you.. from experience... how much time does it take for those parts to come completely off?? thanks for your reply!

To shower them you put them on a plant in your shower, then aim the head of your shower to a wall and let the water gently spray onto the plant. be sure of the temperature and the size of the water drops.

I'm rather new to this cham thing too. So i don't know how long is too long for having the shed not leave certain areas. lets let someone else answer this :)

How often do they usually shed as youngsters? Mine is about 4 months and i've had it for a month and it hasn't shed yet

How often do they usually shed as youngsters? Mine is about 4 months and i've had it for a month and it hasn't shed yet

babies under 6 months shed every 3-5 weeks. full body.
juvis over 6 months tend to start slowing their sheds down, they can do fuly body shed or a body part.

adults shed every couple months, and mostly do a body part at a time..
meaning one day they shed their head, one day they shed a foot.

I wanna say that if it is still on there after quite a bit of time it can have a serious effect on their skin. I don't own a cham though, I only gather that through a book. So don't take my word for it..

To get some more input...

I showered Tobias today and he still has shed on half of his face from his shead on thurdsy. What can I do, if anything to facilitate a successful completion of shed ; or do I leave it alone.

I dont ever help them shed.
If the area around their appendages seems to be having problems, I give them a shower. If a piece around their toe, or horn, does not shed right, it could cut off circulation, and they could lose that body part.
I have had them keep pieces of shed 3+ weeks.
Unless its a "sensitive" area I just let them take care of it.
If the animal is having a tough time with it all-over, upping the humidity, and extra showers acan help.

I dont ever help them shed.
If the area around their appendages seems to be having problems, I give them a shower. If a piece around their toe, or horn, does not shed right, it could cut off circulation, and they could lose that body part.
I have had them keep pieces of shed 3+ weeks.
Unless its a "sensitive" area I just let them take care of it.
If the animal is having a tough time with it all-over, upping the humidity, and extra showers acan help.

Thanks! Ill let nature do its job then.

I have had humidity issues in the past before I got my Mist King. My previous Panther would sometimes have trouble shedding. I would spray him with Zoo Med Repti Shed Aid. It worked well.;) Thats what its made for..... You have to look at it as a medicine though... And try and resolve the real issue, whether diet or humidity.... Dave

Back
Top Bottom