Spiders and Chameleons

Hi this is chamleonlover101. Will spiders be a good healthy snack for your chameleon once in a while? What spiders would be the healthiest and safest options?

While they wouldn't be venomous to it, as venom needs to be injected, not consumed to hurt you, I'm not sure if they would be toxic to chameleons. I wouldn't recommend feeding them to your chameleon though do to possible pesticides on the bug/arachnid and parasites.

Wild caught spiders from a pesticide free area are just fine for feeding to chameleons. I would not use venomous or poisonous ones though. They actually really, really love them. Daddy long legs, and wolf spiders are a great snack. ;) They need to be alive though. No dead food...

As tempting and fun revenge as it may be, please be careful. I lost my pride and joy panther to a spider bite. Two jacksons were also killed during an infestation last fall. I actually sold and gave away several chams to prevent them from being bitten while I killed off the spiders. Please use caution.

same here - my panther was bitten by a "stray" spider - he lost some of his face skin, and it took about 9 mos before he could shoot his tongue again - it was a mess - and it was a TINY spider -
SS - I did not know you could feed Daddy long legs - we have lots of those :rolleyes: hmmmmm :)

I guess the moral of the story is, spiders are dangerous at times, so know your spiders!!! Im sorry to hear of the issues you guys had, I never had any issue whatsoever. :(

Back
Top Bottom