Starting a baby Veiled outside?

BruceBanner

I was kind of scanning around Chameleon Academy and saw a couple write ups on starting a juvenile chameleon outside. I was considering trying it but had some concerns.

The first is sunlight? Because of where I live the only location I have that gets direct sunlight is the west side of the house. Basically 4pm to sunset. Will that be adequate? All the chameleons I own always like to bask first thing in the morning. Temperatures will be warm enough without direct basking in my area.

Two is supplements? I don't think D3 is necessary but would calcium still be advisable?

I should have started by saying I do have experience with chameleons so I feel comfortable providing a dense cage. I would put a soil bottom. I know that's not advisable for veiled but this would be a couple months thing and I realize I maybe taking a risk with that decision.

My experience is a little unconventional, I have 3 male veiled chams housed outside in FL. They all started in their outdoor enclosures at around 3 months. I do have them in a pool enclosure and fenced in back yard. If I didn’t have the double security in place I would not have them outdoors 24/7. I do have to bring them in on occasion during bad storms and colder days in the winter.

As far as the sunlight goes they do prefer to bask in the mornings and sometimes later in the day (during the winter months).

In your case, my concern would be the late direct sun affecting the sleep cycle since they will be experiencing indirect light in the morning and direct later in the day. My guys will start winding down and getting to their sleep areas by 4 or 5 pm. They are usually sleep by 7-8 pm.

I don’t usually supplement with D3. All other feedings are dusted with plain calcium and a multivitamin once a month.

If you have ants anywhere outdoors I would suggest having a bare bottom or make the enclosure ant proof. My boys kinda grew out of eating dirt and just stick to their plants now.

Thanks for the response. I guess I kind of knew the answer but it's better to hear from someone who has actually did it.

Back
Top Bottom