Stickbugs

CryptKeeper

Established Member
I read on some thread a user here breeds Indian walking stick insects. I just don’t remember who, if anyone knows. I’d like to start feeding Rex some different types of insects since the regulars you can find on most sites he won’t eat anymore. I have him eating mainly silk worms, horned worms, moths from the horned worms, and going to try crickets again but he stopped with them when he was sick. Won’t eat BSFL/flies, Dubias, supers, etc. he will eat wax but I stopped them since he started gaining some weight.

He also loved grasshoppers I got from someone here but it’s hard to find them in stock and they’re expensive but I may try to breed them myself.

I ordered ooths from Arbico Organics. About 5.00 per ooth. They hatched in a few weeks. About 50 per ooth. NEVER AGAIN WILL I DO THIS! I was definitely out of my league.

I get them occasionally as well. I’ve got a bug dealer for my mantis if you want me to pass on his info :)

I get them occasionally as well. I’ve got a bug dealer for my mantis if you want me to pass on his info :)
I’ve come to find out they’re not much of a feeder since they’re so skinny haha. I’m just trying to find a bunch of new insects I can let my Cham, Rex, hunt for. He’s lost the desire to eat from a dish/bowl/feeder so Dubias and crickets are out. He needs to see things moving around. I got a bunch of hoppers coming and ima breed some too that I ordered from khai. But still looking for some other variety. He’s mainly eating silks, horned worms and hawk moths now and I’m sure will eat the silk moths too once they pupate and hatch.

Does he sell mantis feeders? I didn’t know you could feed them to chams since they have such a strong bite/jaw but the person above seems to have done so.

I’ve come to find out they’re not much of a feeder since they’re so skinny haha. I’m just trying to find a bunch of new insects I can let my Cham, Rex, hunt for. He’s lost the desire to eat from a dish/bowl/feeder so Dubias and crickets are out. He needs to see things moving around. I got a bunch of hoppers coming and ima breed some too that I ordered from khai. But still looking for some other variety. He’s mainly eating silks, horned worms and hawk moths now and I’m sure will eat the silk moths too once they pupate and hatch.
Shoot. Do you have a feeder run? That helps me. You could also look into different types of beetles? Mealworm beetles perhaps?

Does he sell mantis feeders? I didn’t know you could feed them to chams since they have such a strong bite/jaw but the person above seems to have done so.
They come in the oothicas or whatever they are called. I’m waiting for 3 of mine to hatch and they are more of a treat vs an actual staple feeder. I only feed them off the day they hatch and that’s it

Shoot. Do you have a feeder run? That helps me. You could also look into different types of beetles? Mealworm beetles perhaps?
Yeah I have a feeder run. He used to run to it as I dumped them in but he got sick and stopped eating for a bit. That’s when he stopped eating crickets when I offered them after he started eating again. I haven’t tried in like 3 weeks ima try again. He seems to just like hunting his food now or at least something that moves a lot. The crickets just sit there in the feeder so he’s not interested anymore. But again it’s been awhile ima try again. I ordered a bunch of grasshoppers though and a couple dozen to breed I know he’ll like them.

They come in the oothicas or whatever they are called. I’m waiting for 3 of mine to hatch and they are more of a treat vs an actual staple feeder. I only feed them off the day they hatch and that’s it
Gotcha but isn’t there like 100-200 in each ooth lol how many can you feed off if you have 3 ooths?

Yeah I have a feeder run. He used to run to it as I dumped them in but he got sick and stopped eating for a bit. That’s when he stopped eating crickets when I offered them after he started eating again. I haven’t tried in like 3 weeks ima try again. He seems to just like hunting his food now or at least something that moves a lot. The crickets just sit there in the feeder so he’s not interested anymore. But again it’s been awhile ima try again. I ordered a bunch of grasshoppers though and a couple dozen to breed I know he’ll like them.
Can you attach a piece of carrot or sweet potato at the top of the feeder run to encourage bugs to climb around more? I'm sorry your boy is so picky, its so tough when there are only a few feeders they will eat. Keep trying!

Gotcha but isn’t there like 100-200 in each ooth lol how many can you feed off if you have 3 ooths?
Ya...I'll have billions of them all over if all three of them hatch 🤣. I just let my chameleons pick off the newly hatched babies for a minute then place the extras outside to live their best lives.

Can you attach a piece of carrot or sweet potato at the top of the feeder run to encourage bugs to climb around more? I'm sorry your boy is so picky, it’s so tough when there are only a few feeders they will eat. Keep trying!
Oh yeah that’s a good idea! I do have 100 hoppers coming so he’ll be fine he really liked them and likes to hunt. I also got 2 dozen breeders from khai so eventually will have a constant source of them! (Hopefully, if I do it right haha)

Oh yeah that’s a good idea! I do have 100 hoppers coming so he’ll be fine he really liked them and likes to hunt. I also got 2 dozen breeders from khai so eventually will have a constant source of them! (Hopefully, if I do it right haha)
That is fantastic! Keep me posted on how breeding goes. I'm trying to breed hoppers myself...I feel like its not as easy as I'd like it to be....

That is fantastic! Keep me posted on how breeding goes. I'm trying to breed hoppers myself...I feel like its not as easy as I'd like it to be....
Oh yeah? Did you get from khai? I won’t be getting them for about 3-4 weeks so have time to research lol. What’s been the issues you’re running into?

Oh yeah? Did you get from khai? I won’t be getting them for about 3-4 weeks so have time to research lol. What’s been the issues you’re running into?
I got some from Dean actually and then my yard. I’m trying to breed both but I think I’m not keeping good temps for the eggs maybe?

I got some from Dean actually and then my yard. I’m trying to breed both but I think I’m not keeping good temps for the eggs maybe?
I really have no idea lol I was told to keep the hoppers high 70s low 80s but haven’t spoken about the eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom