substrate choices

wackyjackson

i just got a veiled chameleon. ive had one before but it only lasted a couple months. I wanted to know whats the best bedding to use besides the green carpets... I was looking along the line of coconut husk made by exoterra. the kind thats a brick that you rehydrate in a bucket of water? good choice?

Actually your best bet is to not have any substrate what so ever. The Reptile Carpet will rip out the nails on the chameleons or other reptiles and IMO the paper towels get wet really fast and have to be replaced to quickly.

The safest choice is to use no substrate. That way there is no chance of a substrate causing an impaction....or having toxins in it or ending up moldy.

None, nada, zilch. I've never used substrate. Paper towels get wet within hours and have to be replaced daily. The green carpet stuff is OK...but if you don't clean under it, it can get grimy under there. I just use the plain plastic bottom. It's the best for the chams and it's also the easiest to clean - just a sponge, a bit of rubbing alcohol in the corners to prevent any type of growth and I usually wipe mine down with a bit of olive oil to for antimicrobial measures (and by bit, I mean an extremely thin layer).

Back
Top Bottom