Sucks...

Rottsko

Avid Member
i'm sad to say that i won't be getting a chameleon after all. i have 3 kids and 2 under the age of 4 so the risk of salmonella for my littles were too high. i bought everything for the cham too...cage, lights, supplements and even 1000 crickets at my house right now!

this really sucks but i'm sure when they're older, i'll be getting a cham.

the risk of salmonella for my littles were too high

The only way they can contract salmonella is if you let them play with poo or a dirty cage, IMO.

i'm sad to say that i won't be getting a chameleon after all. i have 3 kids and 2 under the age of 4 so the risk of salmonella for my littles were too high. i bought everything for the cham too...cage, lights, supplements and even 1000 crickets at my house right now!

this really sucks but i'm sure when they're older, i'll be getting a cham.

Why not just keep the cham in a room the kids don't go very often like your bedroom? Keep some purell next to the cage so if they do handle the cham they can use that afterward? That's what I would do. Just throwin' it out there.

the risk of salmonella for my littles were too high

The only way they can contract salmonella is if you let them play with poo or a dirty cage, IMO.

true, but i just don't think the timing is right, right now. maybe when they're a little older but for now it wasn't a risk i was willing to take.

Why not just keep the cham in a room the kids don't go very often like your bedroom? Keep some purell next to the cage so if they do handle the cham they can use that afterward? That's what I would do. Just throwin' it out there.

i totally appreciate the suggestions. i thought about every possibility on how to keep the kids safe but i was afraid of that one time. it just wasn't the right time right now.

true, but i just don't think the timing is right, right now. maybe when they're a little older but for now it wasn't a risk i was willing to take.

I understand, but posting in those words is giving the wrong impression to new members. Good Luck!

I know some one that has a three year old daughter that plays with
their bearded dragon all the time
and also she free ranges some of her chams and has about six of them.
She is also VERY clean about it.
Her duaghter is just fine and absoultly LOVES the reptiles. :)

But its deff. a personal choice.

I understand, but posting in those words is giving the wrong impression to new members. Good Luck!

i'm sorry about that. i didn't mean to give any new members the wrong impression about chams. i'm so in love w/ these animals and i was so excited to get one. i know that if you take care of them the right way everything will be fine...so please don't take it the wrong way.

i totally appreciate the suggestions. i thought about every possibility on how to keep the kids safe but i was afraid of that one time. it just wasn't the right time right now.

I totally understand parental guilt and worry. Even if there is a small risk, it's probably something you would worry about constantly and because of that, not worth it for you.

As PedroandAsley said, it's a personal choice.

i should've said the possibility of getting sick instead of "the risk is too high". i'm just worried about the "what if" and not necessarily mean these animals are too risky.

I totally understand parental guilt and worry. Even if there is a small risk, it's probably something you would worry about constantly and because of that, not worth it for you.

As PedroandAsley said, it's a personal choice.

yeah, i think the constant worry of it was what did me in. i want to enjoy these animals and not look at them as something that can be harmful. BTW...do you know a lot of folks w/ kids under the age of 4 w/ chameleons? what are their experiences w/ it.

The risk of getting salmonella from a chameleon is slim to none. I just had a talk about this with my vet, who happens to be one of the best, if not the best chameleon vet in the US. Some one told me that I could get salmonella from kissing my chams all the time and he said no way.

i should've said the possibility of getting sick instead of "the risk is too high". i'm just worried about the "what if" and not necessarily mean these animals are too risky.

I don't think you said anything wrong. You just mean the risk is too high for you, as the parent of small children. For many parents, ANY risk is too much. We do our best to protect them, it's just what we do.

So when they're older you think you'll be getting one? If you're not going to use your supplies, maybe you can sell them in the classified section?

I don't think you said anything wrong. You just mean the risk is too high for you, as the parent of small children. For many parents, ANY risk is too much. We do our best to protect them, it's just what we do.

So when they're older you think you'll be getting one? If you're not going to use your supplies, maybe you can sell them in the classified section?

i really want one. i think i'm going to hold on to all the stuff so that i don't have to order them again.

The risk of getting salmonella from a chameleon is slim to none. I just had a talk about this with my vet, who happens to be one of the best, if not the best chameleon vet in the US. Some one told me that I could get salmonella from kissing my chams all the time and he said no way.

man, you guys are really making me feel like i'm being paranoid. am i over thinking it?

You would seriously have to be a very very dirty person that does not know how to wash their hands or enjoy eating chameleon poo, or just be VERY VERY so VERY unlucky to get salmonella.

But your right the risk is greater for small children, though I dont know by how much....it could be very little risk increase youd have to google it and do some research.
I sent you a PM.

You would seriously have to be a very very dirty person that does not know how to wash their hands or enjoy eating chameleon poo, or just be VERY VERY so VERY unlucky to get salmonella.

But your right the risk is greater for small children, though I dont know by how much....it could be very little risk increase youd have to google it and do some research.
I sent you a PM.

got it. yeah i agree...i'm not a dirty person and neither is my family. we're actually very ocd about cleanliness in our house. i just don't know how risky it is for my kids.

Maybe you could have the cham and not let the children touch it - chams don't really usually like interacting anyway! Small children's fast movements may un-nerve the cham, so it possibly wouldn't go to them anyways. I know how kids are with putting things (including fingers!) into their mouths all the time. My daughter put everything in her mouth as a baby and she is really healthy! I feel that exposure to whatever was lying around actually strengthened her immune system.

I was concerned about salmonella before I got my first cham, but I fell in love with her - once your cham is with you the worry will pretty much subside. The joy of owning a chameleon far outways the slight risk of catching anything from them. As long as you get the kids to wash their hands there shouldn't be a problem. I love my two so much - I couldn't be without them! Its amazing how attached you become and how quickly! There's just something so special and enchanting about chameleons!:D

Jann! You actually kiss Luie and Camille?!?! :eek: I wouldn't go quite that far although I air kiss them pretty close - not often as Amy hates me getting too close to her, lol! Don't chams smell lovely though? Amy smelt heavenly after her last shed!:eek::D

Last edited:
It's not "that" risky for your kids, but having small children could interfere with the time you need to spend caring for your cham. You could always get a bearded dragon, they are less maintenance and very friendly. :)

Oh my !! Where are the facts on this! The odds are higher on getting it from your kitchen sink! People are nuts these days. Better not send my kid to school he might catch something. The thing is to use good hygene practices and wash pets or not! The new thing now is bed bugs and raw eggs. My Cham is the cleanest pet I have owned. I have had parrots,saltwater fish/corals/dogs cats,even a snake and the cham is not gonna draw blood.
I would think it be hard for a 4 yr old to ignore the cham and just go for the pooh. A thousand crickets though, that could be dirty!

Back
Top Bottom