SWFL Cricket Keepers- Show me your containers!

Hello all.

SWFL Cham family here. We have 6 Veiled Chams (2 girls and 4 boys). We also have other cricket loving animals, that is why we get 1000 every 2 weeks.

We are looking for ideas on how to keep large amounts of crickets. With the heat down here, we typically keep them in the lanai. We have had recent issues with die off; could be the heat, could be other things.

For their containers we have been using 75L EzStorage bins with the top cut out and screen (non-fiberglass type) hot glued to the top for ventilation. Our issue is that they often smell, even with routine cleaning.

We are searching for what others do for their containers and where you keep them.

Show me your cricket solutions!

Grateful for any and all shares and suggestions.

Well I keep mine in the bedroom at around 77 degrees, they help me sleep. I keep between 500 to 1,000 in here. I live near Lake O.

Attachments

• IMG_20240414_084230.jpg
    IMG_20240414_084230.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20240414_084241.jpg
    IMG_20240414_084241.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20240414_084303.jpg
    IMG_20240414_084303.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20240421_181943.jpg
    IMG_20240421_181943.jpg
    197.3 KB · Views: 9
I live in central FL but I don’t keep crickets for the exact reasons you have listed lol. Are you open to switching to discoid roaches?

Out of all commercial insects offered in the pet trade. Roaches are the best in term of cleanliness and smell.

Hornworms food smell terrible after heat lingers in my room. I can’t stand the smell of superworms. I can’t fandom with crickets either.

I have a few extra large plastic storage bins set up for crickets. I have added ventilation to the sides as well as the lid. The bins are tall so unless I’m standing the egg crate pieces up, I don’t even really need them on. I use paper towel on the bottom and provide lots of egg crate or TP tubes. I try to feed only what I think they’ll eat in a day and don’t provide water unless really hot. To clean the bin, I just move them to a clean bin. Banded crickets are much cleaner/less stinky than domestic ones. I also keep the clean up crew that they usually come with - dermestid beetles I believe. I usually get 500 at a time, but have found that 1000 keep just as well, so have upped my orders. Currently trying my hand at breeding crickets.

For my Super worms I use a clear plastic bug tote you get from pet smart . 2 1\2 inches of oatmeal some wheat germ and potatoes or carrots sometimes celery.

Attachments

• IMG_20240813_190711.jpg
    IMG_20240813_190711.jpg
    252.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20240813_190724.jpg
    IMG_20240813_190724.jpg
    343.5 KB · Views: 6
I have a few extra large plastic storage bins set up for crickets. I have added ventilation to the sides as well as the lid. The bins are tall so unless I’m standing the egg crate pieces up, I don’t even really need them on. I use paper towel on the bottom and provide lots of egg crate or TP tubes. I try to feed only what I think they’ll eat in a day and don’t provide water unless really hot. To clean the bin, I just move them to a clean bin. Banded crickets are much cleaner/less stinky than domestic ones. I also keep the clean up crew that they usually come with - dermestid beetles I believe. I usually get 500 at a time, but have found that 1000 keep just as well, so have upped my orders. Currently trying my hand at breeding crickets.
Appreciate your share. We are doing the same thing. Vented on the sides and the top, we are using vermiculite as their base, possibly making it bioactive in short time. We feed carrots and romaine for food and hydration. We have tried the water plates, but they just find a way to kill themselves faster lol. We are hoping to breed and reduce our outside need on crickets. Just tough with the climate we live in.

Appreciate your share. We are doing the same thing. Vented on the sides and the top, we are using vermiculite as their base, possibly making it bioactive in short time. We feed carrots and romaine for food and hydration. We have tried the water plates, but they just find a way to kill themselves faster lol. We are hoping to breed and reduce our outside need on crickets. Just tough with the climate we live in.
I had tried keeping my crickets bioactive with dwarf white isopods and springtails. Stupid crickets ate every last isopod. Where are you that it’s a challenging climate? I’m in central Florida. The bugs I want to breed I keep in the garage for the warmth.

Back
Top Bottom