Swollen cloaca?

abcatgirl

I feed my 23-month-old male veiled every two days. His feedings consist of 10ish crickets, 2 super worms, 1 butterworm, 2 mealworms, 2 BSFL/calciworms, and 1 waxworm. He's currently shedding. Lately I have also noticed that he hasn't been eating any worms. Not sure about crickets because they roam around the enclosure. Could this cause constipation? Today I went to feed him and noticed that his cloaca was reddened and swollen and appears to have something lodged in it (picture included). Can someone identify this? I did research on constipation and only found articles on impaction, which seems unlikely since he has appropriately sized food and no substrate. I'm also wondering if it could be a prolapse. Please help!
IMG_2038.JPG
IMG_2039.JPG

That looks like a build up from sperm plugs. There might also be an infection/abscess going on.

If her were mine, I would the misters on him for several hours to try to soften up that mess. Then I would try to gently remove it.

If you can gently remove it, maybe all the backed up debris will work its way out. If the inflammation doesn't go down after a day or two of the seminal plug being removed, get him to a vet.

I would also treat him for a Vitamin A deficiency. These kinds of issues go along with a deficiency in Vitamin A.

That looks like a build up from sperm plugs. There might also be an infection/abscess going on.

If her were mine, I would the misters on him for several hours to try to soften up that mess. Then I would try to gently remove it.

If you can gently remove it, maybe all the backed up debris will work its way out. If the inflammation doesn't go down after a day or two of the seminal plug being removed, get him to a vet.

I would also treat him for a Vitamin A deficiency. These kinds of issues go along with a deficiency in Vitamin A.
How can I remove the blockage gently?

How can I remove the blockage gently?

Start with him being misted for a long long time. You want that all softened up and not dry. You could do it by hand--just keep him wet misting that area every five or ten minutes with warm water.

Then just try to gently, every so gently pull them out. If you get any resistance, wet the area while it is still under a bit of traction (to get the water deep into that mess) and try again after that has some time to soak in.

You don't want to inflame it or damage the tissues.

They don't have a tube that runs through a penis the way mammals do. They don't have a penis, but two hemipenes that have grooves running down the sides. The ejaculate runs down the grooves along the hemipenis. This is just a build up of debris that needs to be removed.

I would be very careful not to end up pulling the hemipenes out of the cloaca as there is so much swelling they might not go back in and then you have another problem.

If you don't get it cleaned up the first time you work on it, you should probably put something like KY on it to try to keep the tissues and the seminal plug moist.

I was able to soften and remove one plug completely with help. The other got broken up a little but we were still able to get most of it out. Bubba seemed ok during the operation and is now back in the cage. However, the area is still swollen and he lost a bit of blood. Definitely taking him to the vet but they don't open until Monday. Is there anything else I can do?
IMG_2050.JPG
IMG_2053.JPG

I'd keep the area moist. If you have organic honey you can apply that to the area. It will reduce inflammation and is a natural antimicrobial

I'd keep the area moist. If you have organic honey you can apply that to the area. It will reduce inflammation and is a natural antimicrobial
Ok. Misted him after it was removed, I'll continue to spray it frequently. I don't have organic honey unfortunately. Just curious, at this point what would a vet do to help? Are there any medicines or ointments they would provide?

We got him to the vet and they were able to clean the rest out. He's now on antibiotics, has his appetite back, and is looking much better than before. :)

Back
Top Bottom