thought my Veiled was dead....

CHScrusader

my cham is roughly 4 months old. well about when he was just a month old i caught him sleeping during
the day.. but that problem is fine ... here we are 3 months later. i just put 5 crickets in a bowl and put the bowl i front of him to eat them. well he ate all five, i went downstairs to grab my cell phone and 1 minute later i came back up and i couldnt find him in his cage. i found him and he was sleeping in his dracaena plant! He was blacker than black and cold! i thought he was dead. i panicked. so i gently tried to pick him up and nothing, no movement, no opening eyes, Nothing. so i grabbed his body and gently un grasped his legs and he moved onto my finger, with his eyes still closed and after holding him for aput 2 minutes he opened his eyes and turned green with his color again.. i have no idea what happened to him. this was today around 5:30-6 ish PM. his light schedule is 8 am to 8 pm. any body know what might have happened? According to his stool he dropped earlier today he is well hydrated. heres some pictures.

.3 seconds before he opened his eyes
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346891140.628247.jpg

this is after he opened his eyes. about 2 minutes after
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346891193.560619.jpg

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

Current Problem - The current problem you are concerned about.

fill this out it will help us fix your problem

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care?
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon?
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders?
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule?
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking?
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites?
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions?
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule?
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps?
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity?
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind?
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor?
Location - Where are you geographically located?

fill this out it will help us fix your problem

sure.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - The species, sex, and age of your chameleon. How long has it been in your care? veiled chameleon, male, and about 4 months. ive had him since august.
Handling - How often do you handle your chameleon? like .. 2 times a week. hes boring to hold.
Feeding - What are you feeding your cham? What amount? What is the schedule? How are you gut-loading your feeders? crickets and calci-worms/phoenix worms. 2 worms a day and about 11 crickets. i gutload with butternut squash and peas and collard greens. i dont really have a schedule. i cup feed.
Supplements - What brand and type of calcium and vitamin products are you dusting your feeders with and what is the schedule? zoo med calcium without d3 daily and d3 and multivitamin once every two week yadayadayada.
Watering - What kind of watering technique do you use? How often and how long to you mist? Do you see your chameleon drinking? i have a hand mister. misted when lights go on at 8 am, again at 12 and then again at 4 pm. 6 minutes at 8, 3 minutes at 12 and 2 at 4 pm. my cham drinks immediately after i start sprayin'.
Fecal Description - Briefly note colors and consistency from recent droppings. Has this chameleon ever been tested for parasites? white and brown. and yes, negative for parasties. as of 7/9/12.
History - Any previous information about your cham that might be useful to others when trying to help you. .....nope

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Describe your cage (Glass, Screen, Combo?) What are the dimensions? zoo med reptibreeze. 24x24x48.
Lighting - What brand, model, and types of lighting are you using? What is your daily lighting schedule? zilla tropical slimline fixture 5.0 UVB. lights 8 am to 8 pm.
Temperature - What temp range have you created (cage floor to basking spot)? Lowest overnight temp? How do you measure these temps? basking spot reaches a max of 85.7 degrees and cage floor area is about 73. overnight it usually gets to about 71 degrees in my house. probe thermometers.
Humidity - What are your humidity levels? How are you creating and maintaining these levels? What do you use to measure humidity? 55% humidity during the day. i spray and it goes up to about 90 and drops down quickly. a hygrometer. at night the humidity goes to about 50%.
Plants - Are you using live plants? If so, what kind? dracaena.
Placement - Where is your cage located? Is it near any fans, air vents, or high traffic areas? At what height is the top of the cage relative to your room floor? it is now on a 6 foot long folding table the top of the cage it 7 foot from the ground. i need a chair to turn off the uvb light, lol. nope in my room. im only in there occaisonally and then for bed. no vents.
Location - Where are you geographically located? PA, USA

cham decided an early bed time today

He may simply went to sleep early one night. Once would not worry me much. I have a cham that goes to his sleeping spot about an hour before light off every day. Just how he is.

Mine goes to his sleeping spot around 7pm, lights out at 10pm. During that time he wont eat, and normally has his sleep colors on, and at best will have the eyes moving.

i actually am having the same issue with my veiled cham she is roughthly two months old and when ever she gets spooked she falls to the bottom of her cage and she turns black and cold like that is you find out whats up you should tell me!

i actually am having the same issue with my veiled cham she is roughthly two months old and when ever she gets spooked she falls to the bottom of her cage and she turns black and cold like that is you find out whats up you should tell me!

Thats a defense mech for smaller chams. "fall like a leaf". You can walk up to certain tanks of carpet chameleons and drop the whole lot at the same time by showing them a big balloon suddenly:cool:

I have never seen mine do that. But there was the one Time mine was on my shoulder and it saw my dog and it like fell off my shoulder... I felt bad because the dog was no where near him but it was funny too lol

Back
Top Bottom