Tongue falling out! Serious help needed

Spike01

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - kinyonga boehnei, male, roughly 6 months had him about 4
Handling - Couple times a week
Feeding - guy loaded crickets on a tea time about 4 crickets most days occasionally locusts
Supplements - Komodo calcium
Watering - waterfall in tank and misted?
Fecal description - black and white solid
History - We were given totally wrong info from the pet shop when got him originally but as we learning we trying to change it all.

Cage Info:
Cage wood with a glass front which we roved to increase ventilation. Numerous fake plants, logs and branches
Lighting - UVB light by reptiglow 5.0 kept on about 10 hours a day
Temperature - Basking spot 70 Fahrenheit and lowest 60
Humidity - 30%
Plants - no live plants
Placement - Tank is in the corner of the living room
Location - North east England

Current Problem - his tongue has now come out of his mouth and he can't get it back in

Spoke to vets today he has been given painkillers antibiotics and something to reduce the swelling. He is trying to keep hold of it but it is lifeless. They say he is doing well in himself. We have read they can amputate tongues and relearn to eat but the vet hasn't heard of that. Any advice is welcome

cant say exactly how to help your specific case and species but id try to keep his tongue moist so it doesn't dry out.

Hey spike. I ran across a thread earlier that discussed this I bet if you search the forum you can find tons of good info. and the other suggestion is definitely correct keep the tongue moist, also make sure he doesnt swallow his tongue. Keep us informed.

Hey spike. I ran across a thread earlier that discussed this I bet if you search the forum you can find tons of good info. and the other suggestion is definitely correct keep the tongue moist, also make sure he doesnt swallow his tongue. Keep us informed.

thanks for picking up where i slacked :eek: yeah you dont want him swallowing his tongue.

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - kinyonga boehnei, male, roughly 6 months had him about 4
Handling - Couple times a week
Feeding - guy loaded crickets on a tea time about 4 crickets most days occasionally locusts
Supplements - Komodo calcium
Watering - waterfall in tank and misted?
Fecal description - black and white solid
History - We were given totally wrong info from the pet shop when got him originally but as we learning we trying to change it all.

Cage Info:
Cage wood with a glass front which we roved to increase ventilation. Numerous fake plants, logs and branches
Lighting - UVB light by reptiglow 5.0 kept on about 10 hours a day
Temperature - Basking spot 70 Fahrenheit and lowest 60
Humidity - 30%
Plants - no live plants
Placement - Tank is in the corner of the living room
Location - North east England

Current Problem - his tongue has now come out of his mouth and he can't get it back in

Spoke to vets today he has been given painkillers antibiotics and something to reduce the swelling. He is trying to keep hold of it but it is lifeless. They say he is doing well in himself. We have read they can amputate tongues and relearn to eat but the vet hasn't heard of that. Any advice is welcome

I don't know where what is in England but contact some of the people from there. For starters Miss Lily, David Buchan, Kate. I will find you a few more. Tell me what town you are near.

Just checked and Abbey Vets looks good. States that they deal with chams. Good luck.

Try some of these people send lots of pm's fast.

sallyb

MATT2504

Amanda1801

Just type the name in as I have listed into the box for who you are sending it too.

Wow thanks for the replies he is at a vets in Morpeth that is meant to be good with chameleons. His tongue was fine when I went out at 11 yesterday and when I came in about 1 it wasn't. I had him to the vets 2.30 and so was there pretty quick after. They say they prob going to amputate it on Monday very worried. He is still moving around and happy in himself and looking good the vet says and they keeping close eye on him.

Can't believe there is closer vets and thought every one was from America too

Can't believe there is closer vets and thought every one was from America too

Biggest and best Chameleon forum in the world here :) We have seen lots of chams go on to lead long and fulfilling lives after a tongue amputation, but of course he will need recuperation time and tlc. Good luck :)
p.s. waterfalls are usually a bad idea, chams poop in them, feeders drown, bacteria multiply very quickly even if you clean it everyday. Chams often don't drink from them, and it's usually not good for them if they do.......

Really glad he is being treated. There are a few members here whose chams have lost part of their tongue. Hopefully they will chip in. Keep us posted as to how he is doing.:)

is it dangling down 6” out of his mouth, or just poking out a little bit? any photos?

and the 30% humidity strikes me as very low too for most any cham species that i’m familiar with.

I dont keep this type of chameleon, and I doubt its relevant to the thread topic, but is 30% humidity not too low?
Hope everything goes well

I agree. While these are more of a "sub-montane" cham and dont need as high humidity as some of the live bearers and Cameroon species, they still need much higher than 30%

I would try to shoot for 60% day time and above 70% night time at least.

It must be a bad reading though......30% is not just low for a cham, it's low for a house.....outside in the UK it barely drops below 70% ever....

It must be a bad reading though......30% is not just low for a cham, it's low for a house.....outside in the UK it barely drops below 70% ever....

Is to OP in the UK? Lots of places are drier than the UK. :) Many parts of Canada have low humidity, especially in winter.

todays humidity in Durham, North Carolina is only 35%
but its closer to 90% in Durhan, UK

Oh well maybe need to invest in a better hygrometer then! Was keeping an eye on his poops and they always white never seen yellow so that's what made me think he must be hydrated enough.

He only about 3 inch long himself but his tongue was out about 2inch at the most but he kept trying to keep hold of it in his mouth. No photos because I just wanted to get him straight to vets never considered a pic sorry.

Vet says he still climbing around and has taken some bug juice and they are still giving the medication but looking like amputation tomorrow

Back
Top Bottom