Tongue or eye issue

tony97

For the past month I’ve noticed my chameleon has had issues being shooting his tongue accurately. He’s only able to catch crickets from a really close distance. I’ve been consistent using a multivitamin every two weeks and recently changed his UVB bulb. He also gets calcium dusted crickets at every feeding. Not sure if this is a tongue or eye issues, any feedback would be great. He’s a 1 y/o panther chameleon

For the past month I’ve noticed my chameleon has had issues being shooting his tongue accurately. He’s only able to catch crickets from a really close distance. I’ve been consistent using a multivitamin every two weeks and recently changed his UVB bulb. He also gets calcium dusted crickets at every feeding. Not sure if this is a tongue or eye issues, any feedback would be great. He’s a 1 y/o panther chameleon
Could you send pics of the chameleon and the cage please

It sounds like this is a UVB/ supplement issue. We would need to know the exact fixture type and bulb strength along with the names of the supplements your using. Your multivitamin may not have vitamin A in it and that is an important aspect of being able to target correctly. If you want to post pics of the supplement labels that is helpful.

How old was the UVB bulb? Does the calcium contain D3? And which supplements are you using?
Do you gutload your feeders? If, what are you using?
The bulb was at least 6 months, the calcium that I use does not contain D3. I use reptivite with D3 every 2 weeks and rep cal with calcium and no D3 at every feeding. I use mustard greens/collard greens at everyday.

It sounds like this is a UVB/ supplement issue. We would need to know the exact fixture type and bulb strength along with the names of the supplements your using. Your multivitamin may not have vitamin A in it and that is an important aspect of being able to target correctly. If you want to post pics of the supplement labels that is helpful.
I use an Arcadia ProT5 6% 35 inch fixture. For supplements I use reptivite multivitamin with D3 every 2 weeks and rep-cal calcium without D3 at every feeding.

I use an Arcadia ProT5 6% 35 inch fixture. For supplements I use reptivite multivitamin with D3 every 2 weeks and rep-cal calcium without D3 at every feeding.
Ok and with the UVB what is the distance from the bottom of the fixture to the branches below? Does the fixture sit on top of aluminum window screen?

I would switch out the reptivite with repashy calcium plus LoD version. Reptivite has phosphorus in it where repashy calcium plus LoD does not. I have seen where some chams can have issues with one multivitamin due to what is in it but do fine on another.

Back
Top Bottom