too cold for screen enclosure?

Nate91

I have a 5 month old veiled chameleon. I live in Michigan and my house is always cold.. Probably between 50-60 degrees in the house. So I know they need a screen enclosure, but I'm worried that if I put him in the screen enclosure it will be too cold for him..or does it not matter the air temp so much as long as he can bask where the heat hits him at a high enough temp. I'm new to chameleons so any advice would be appreciated. I also was thinking of maybe building an enclosure that was partially screen so it can get more air flow.. Need some advice either way tho, thanks.

Your cage temp will probably be hotter overall with the lights running in it. The UVB's do not produce heat but your basking will heat up the cage of course. I would add another basking area to warm up the cage or maybe a ceramic heat emitter. The temps you stated are within the range but it is on the cool side getting into the 50 degree range. As long as you have a place to warm up you should be ok but you may find your chameleon spending a lot of time in the area of the basking where it is warm. At night, it will get too cold and you will probably need some type of heat emitter. I am assuming your house gets even colder at night? what is he housed in now?

Thanks for the input and He is a glass 18x18 and 24 tall. It has a door on the front that swings open so I try and open it up every day for a bit to get fresh air in but the more I've read, the more worried I am of respitirary problems. The heat is all right in the glass I inclosure but I obviously want to get him out of there. I'm basically wirried that cold air flowing threw would effect him, so I guess my question then is; if I got a screen enclosure do you think it would be okay if he can get to a spot that is close enough to the heat? Or maybe just get another heat emiter if it's not warm enough? Or should I build an enclosure that is closed mostly but with a portion on each side for air flow, if that's a good idea, Either way I want to build my next inclosure for his next one.

Well, it would really be up to you. Alot of keepers that are in colder climates keep their chams in glass. It does not have to be screen. It can be done. You just don't want it too humid and too much stagnant or standing water that could create mold and bacteria which could lead to an RI. I live in FLa, so I have never really had an issue with the cold or low humidity. I am very lucky in that respect. And yes, as long as you have a place in the cage for him to warm up he should be ok. At night, if your temps get below 50 I would use a ceramic heat emitter to warm up the cage. You will need something bigger in the near future but it is really your choice or glass or screen or some people do a combo of both.

Ill probably just keep him in glass for a little bit longer. I will probably end up going with combo of both when I change tho. Thanks for the input, it was very helpful.

your welcome and before you know it, it will be warming up there in the North Pole(lol) and your house will be nice and warm and you will be able to take him outside for some sun too!

I have a 5 month old veiled chameleon. I live in Michigan and my house is always cold.. Probably between 50-60 degrees in the house. So I know they need a screen enclosure, but I'm worried that if I put him in the screen enclosure it will be too cold for him..or does it not matter the air temp so much as long as he can bask where the heat hits him at a high enough temp. I'm new to chameleons so any advice would be appreciated. I also was thinking of maybe building an enclosure that was partially screen so it can get more air flow.. Need some advice either way tho, thanks.

Hi
They do NOT need a screen enclosure. sounds like your cham would be better off with a more solid walled cage. You dont want to great a difference between the general ambient cage temp and the basking area.

I build my own cages, with painted peg-board sides, plexi doors (for good viewing) and a coated wire top (lets excess heat out, and lots of UVB in (unlike screen, which can block a lot of UVB).

check out this link for a similar idea: http://www.chameleonnews.com/02JulCaettaKruger.html

I keep my panther in a screen enclosure and I'm from michigan too. My house averages 60's but I also have a heater in my room so my room averages more around 70. Where in michigan are you??

Okay good stuff people. I've just read so much stuff that makes it sound like its critical for them to have screen to stay alive. The problem is it's drafty in the house so it's cold in the winter and in the summer since its drafty the air conditioning runs more cause heat gets in and it's cold then too. I live in Richmond, it's like 45 mins or so north of detroit.

I think this was said above but I'll say it again. Maybe you should try some ceramic heat emitters to raise the ambient temp in the cage to a good nighttime temp, then you can run those emitters 24/7. Then, use your lighting to raise the ambient and basking temps high enough for the daytime. If you can tech this balance w/ a screen cage, you'll probably be better off than with a non-screen cage.

Back
Top Bottom