Veiled chameleon problem eating/possible tongue issue

FrenchChameleon

Chameleon Info:
Your Chameleon - Male Veiled chameleon, turns 2 this month
Handling - 3-5 times per month, more recently due to potential problems
Feeding - Mostly superworms, also waxworms, hornworms, silkworms when I can get them. Have tried dubia roaches and crickets, but he would not eat them. Generally I give him 3-5 superworms every few days, but he has never ate them all. Weighed him this morning, weighs 150 grams.
Supplements - Don't remember the brand, but regular calcium (no d3) with every feeding, multivitamin and d3 calclium about once a month.
Watering - I use an exo-terra monsoon that sprays every 2 hours. I also have a "Mist'r lizard" that I spray him with at least once a day. I see him drinking when I use the hand mister, never otherwise.
Fecal Description - Poop is normal, urate is white and healthy.
History - Got this chameleon when he was 3 months old. Have never had any big issues with him and have been very careful. However, he has never been a big eater. He might eat one or two worms every few days. When I try to vary his diet, he often doesn't go for it. He refused to eat dubia roaches and crickets. He'll eat mealworms but I don't give them to him because they aren't good for him. Loves silkworms and hornworms but it's next to impossible to get them here most of the year.

This chameleon lives in my classroom. I brought him in initially to protect him from cats, but he really seems to love his cage and the environment. I have a cover for his cage so he doesn't get stressed out, and the students leave him alone.

Cage Info:
Cage Type - Screen, extra-large exo-terra cage that is about 3 feet off the floor.
Lighting - Have exo-terra UVB (the straight kind, not the curly kind) and 60w basking bulb (normal, not the flat kind, not blue or any of that weird stuff). They are on a time from 6:30 AM to 6:30 PM.
Temperature - Using a cage thermometer, his basking area comes to around 90 degrees, on the cage floor it's generally around 70 degrees. It can get as low as 53 degrees at night during the winter.
Humidity - Humidity is difficult. It's around 50%, which I know is low. I have pothos plants in the cage as well as my exo-terra misting system for the cage.
Plants - Currently using pothos plants.
Placement - The cage is behind my teacher's desk where no one can get to it. It is about 3 feet off the ground and the top of the cage is around 7 1/2 feet off the ground. I have to stand on a char to do things with the cage.
Location - Central California.

Current Problem -

This chameleon has not been eating lately. He has never really let me watch him eat, but I became concerned over the last week when I noticed that the worms I was feeding him stayed in the cage. On Monday a student managed to coax a worm into his mouth by hand. The worm dangled out of his mouth like he was smoking a cigarette, and he couldn't seem to swallow it. After about an hour he got it down.

Today I got fed up and physically held him within proximity of some worms crawling on the table. He kept bringing out his tongue part-way and then bringing it back in. Finally, I put him in his carrier with three loose superworms. After about 10 minutes, I checked on him and he had one in his mouth. However, he just couldn't finish the job. It was stuck in his mouth for two hours. I stayed him with water to make him swallow, and eventually he bit the worm in half and swallowed what he had.

In addition to this, he has been closing his eyes when I carry him. I've taken him outside to get some sun and to the teacher's lounge to give him a shower in the sink. When he is in my hand, he closes his eyes. When he is in his cage or walking around, he is fine.

I'm working on getting a vet, unfortunately where I live there seems to be only one person qualified for reptiles, and the calls haven't gone through.

I've included some pictures I took today.

Attachments

• 20150916_151511.jpg
    20150916_151511.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 437
  • 20150916_151502.jpg
    20150916_151502.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 281
  • 20150916_145545.jpg
    20150916_145545.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 275
Welcome to the forums. A vet visit and a fecal would be the way to go. Exactly what town are you close to in Cali? I might be able to recommend a chameleon vet.

Does he have labored breathing--does he take deep breaths?

If he can't get enough air into his lungs, he might not want to stop breathing long enough to swallow. The superworms are quite large. Have you tried small food?

And it goes without saying, if he has a respiratory problem, he needs to see a vet.

Thank you so much for replying.

Welcome to the forums. A vet visit and a fecal would be the way to go. Exactly what town are you close to in Cali? I might be able to recommend a chameleon vet.

The Fresno area. I called multiple vets and the only one I can find is Dr. Sue Lynch in Sanger, but my calls haven't gone through.

Does he have labored breathing--does he take deep breaths?

If he can't get enough air into his lungs, he might not want to stop breathing long enough to swallow. The superworms are quite large. Have you tried small food?

And it goes without saying, if he has a respiratory problem, he needs to see a vet.

His breathing isn't labored, seems to be normal. He was gulping when I was spraying him with water and when he had the worm in his mouth, but after that he was fine. He isn't opening his mouth or gaping or gasping.

I didn't consider that his food might be too big, might be time to look into finding something smaller. I've bought the small superworms before and he didn't go for them. Nor the small crickets or the tiny dubia roaches. Sigh. I hope this is the problem, though.

Here's a list of vets that might see chameleons.
http://www.arav.com/find-a-vet/#California

Here is a thread where the members here list their chameleon vets. I didn't see one in Fresno but there could be one in a near by town if you'd like to look through it.
https://www.chameleonforums.com/area-area-country-vet-list-32880/

Thanks, the only one near me on there is the one I know about. But it has an email, so I'm going to try that.

I went out and bought some small feeders, going to see if he can eat those normally tomorrow.

Ok, update. I bought some small crickets and mealworms to see if he would eat those normally. He still couldn't stick out his tongue to eat them, but he tried. I put him in his carrier with 4 dusted crickets and some mealworms. He managed to eat 3 of the crickets by walking up to them and grabbing them. So until I can get a vet, that's the plan.

Ok, update. I bought some small crickets and mealworms to see if he would eat those normally. He still couldn't stick out his tongue to eat them, but he tried. I put him in his carrier with 4 dusted crickets and some mealworms. He managed to eat 3 of the crickets by walking up to them and grabbing them. So until I can get a vet, that's the plan.

You could also hand feed him. That's what I do when I get an old one or a sick one that can no longer use his tongue. My last panther that passed a couple months ago was over 6 and hadn't used his tongue in over a year but I didn't mind hand feeding him. Years ago I had a panther that only had one eye. When he was a baby he had an eye injury and his eyeball had to be amputated. I hand fed him just about his entire life.

You could also hand feed him. That's what I do when I get an old one or a sick one that can no longer use his tongue. My last panther that passed a couple months ago was over 6 and hadn't used his tongue in over a year but I didn't mind hand feeding him. Years ago I had a panther that only had one eye. When he was a baby he had an eye injury and his eyeball had to be amputated. I hand fed him just about his entire life.

He has never liked hand feeding, but he seems a bit more receptive to it now. I put him in his box with dusted crickets today and he ate all of them, so for now I'll do that.

Back
Top Bottom