veiled shedding odd

scerbz

Pretty consistently he has alway shed fast and quick. The last few titimes it has seemed like he sheds over longer span of time and not every bit of his body has shed. He is happy and healthy. His living conditions are a prime example of what he should have. I'm not sure about this and had a very hard time finding any info about why any sheds partial sections at a time. He recieves very consistent lighting and vitamins. Perhaps nothing is wrong, but I just want to make sure.

I believe it is normal for adults to shed piecemeal like that. Some people suggest extra misting to help them shed.

Ok. I just wanted to make sure thay was fine since I didn't see anything about it. But I have him setup with a mistking set for every three hours. Perhaps ill turn it to a longer setting.

As chameleons (of any species) get closer to adulthood, it is common for them to not shed every body part (or do what we call a full body shed).

Babies tend to shed quickly, sometimes in the matter of hours, while adults can seem to take days, or to always be in a constant state of shed.

It is perfectly normal for this to occur.

Since you seem knowledgable, I have two more questions. Is occasional audible breath ok? For example, once in a while while putting in a large effort in a climb or movement etc he has an audible breath. Is that normal? And lately I have noticed a slight spot of black on the front tip of his lip. Inspection of his mouth shows no goo, or abnormal colors. Perhaps I'm paranoid, but better safe than sorry. If these aren't normal things, any info on root causes and medications I ought to obtain in order to straighten his health out?

The black spot could be a burn or a bruise. As long as you inspected the inside of the mouth, that is most likely what it is. Does he hang upside down under the basking light?? Does he rub his nose and front of his mouth on the cage when he climbs around? That could cause this. As far as the breathing, I want to say no. He should not be out of breath from climbing around. That seems odd to me and not sure what that might be..

It sounds most like an exasperated huff or sigh. Perhaps I ought to grt him looked at. I don't think its a burn as he stays away from the lamp. He has a 2x3x6 custom enclosure and his perch closest is about a foot down. He does sometimes rub on branches.

what exactly are the temperatures and humidity within 3" of the cham? Is your buddy constantly on the move around the cage not in search of food or water?

The only things with shedding and weird colored pigments to worry about is early signs of injury or infection, and limb death from interrupted blood flow to an extremity. Make sure there is no skin collecting around the neck, tail or legs particularly the joints and all otherwise let it ride out the natural cycle.
If you are like the real cham addicts you can add a direct flow from a sanitary cool mist humidifier, for an additional 3-5 minutes throughout the day. Keeping another running on the other side of the room is not a bad idea either. You want to keep it around 60% humidity and about 80ºF
Other than that if you are really concerned and your buddy is not acting right...
please by all means go to the vet.

Humidity hangs at 60 during the day, gets a little higher at night. I have a mist king setup. His perch is 80-85 daytime. He is all everywhere all the time, and has a ton of room to play. At the bottom the heat is around 70 and humidity hangs around 60 pretty constant. He also has pothos and hibiscus with a screen to seperate the substrate/ dirt so the plants can grow, but can't make contact etc. I was wondering if some sort of cham safe cleaning supply were available so the screen keeps clean and void of bacteria. He doesn't consistently breath funny, again a sound like an exasperated sigh on occasion and it only seems to be after he makes a large effort, or when he gets a mad but doesn't hiss all crazy. He is very active though, and oddly enough seems to very much so like attention. The black by his tip of his mouth is gone, and ill keep an eye on how he is behaving.

Back
Top Bottom