Video of chameleon's enclosure (tips appreciated)

Everything looks tip top to me ;)

I know what you mean about the brown gross water too. I usually just thought it was because of my cham's poop :eek:

Looks very similar to my drainage system.... Clearly that just means great minds think alike ;)
Very well done. I intend to put a hibiscus in yoshi's enclosure very soon as well.

I think I took the same idea the wrong direction...
first attempting to use 2 enclosures on 1 shelf then by screening the entire shelf.

I used to have two 18x30 exo's sitting on the ventilated shelving that drained perfectly. However I had alot of prolems with mist spraying through the screen onto the floor, effectively saturating my carpet by the end of the day... Everything else was fantastic with that design

This last spree of modding I ended up screening the largest section I could make with the extra legs. Sawing a cut around the opposing sides or the ring around the inside of the enclosure top and bottom would would let me use window spline to tighten the screen in with a very clean look. This is of coarse assuming you use the appropriate width of blade for your preferred size of spline.

Cant figure out what type of saw would be able to do this though so I just have it taped...

Attachments

• IMAG1534.jpg
    IMAG1534.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 150
That is such a good idea on the bottom shelf and the drip tray. I used to have only one chameleon and I just used a pan under his cage. Cleaning was tedious. I now have 3 and its almost time to bring them in for the rest of the year. I have been wreaking my brain on how to set it up so that I do not have stagnant water around them and in the house. My mom said to raise them which I thought was a good idea only I didn't really know what to go get. Can I use your idea? Or anyone else's that would like to share? Would it be a home improvement store that one would get the shelving and what to cut it with? Any other ideas to use on limited inside space would be appreciated as well. Thanks

That is such a good idea on the bottom shelf and the drip tray. I used to have only one chameleon and I just used a pan under his cage. Cleaning was tedious. I now have 3 and its almost time to bring them in for the rest of the year. I have been wreaking my brain on how to set it up so that I do not have stagnant water around them and in the house. My mom said to raise them which I thought was a good idea only I didn't really know what to go get. Can I use your idea? Or anyone else's that would like to share? Would it be a home improvement store that one would get the shelving and what to cut it with? Any other ideas to use on limited inside space would be appreciated as well. Thanks

what's the size of your cages, crazy eye chameleon guy has a great system

The plastic shelving is sold at hardware stores, and you can cut it with a hacksaw, or if you don't force it with a chop saw or table saw. Where the washer and dryers are sold, you can get a washer tray that will be about 4 inches wider and deeper than the 24x24 footprint, place the tray under the cage on a plastic shelf, and have a 5 gallon bucket under the tray, on the next shelf down. The tray has a drain hole that you get some vinyl hose (from the same hardware store) and attach it so it drains into the 5 gallon bucket.

Nick

This is pretty ideal for a few set ups http://www.homedepot.com/p/HDX-5-Sh...Shelving-Unit-17601471/100006678#.Ujlo5hZ5nzI

looks good so far good job. one idea if you want your pothos and any other live plants/vines towards the top i believe some people put a piece of wood across the top and use fishing line through the mesh to tie the potter to the wood.

Love the setup for drainage. Very smart idea. I think you'll find you have trouble keeping your hibicus alive without additional lights though.

Hibiscus needs a LOT of light. You'll either have to get it outside in the sun regularly or do what I did, and get a fluorescent plant light. I think your chameleon would appreciate the extra light too. I got mine from Lee Valley. They sell a T5 fixture with plant bulb for about $30 for the 22" bulb length. I used 2 of these fixtures in my 36" x 24" x 48" enclosure with a hibiscus and ficus. These plants have been in there for a year and are growing well and the hibiscus flowers regularly. A lot of members have trouble keeping hibiscus alive indoors. Without a good plant light, it will likely not survive.

Love the setup for drainage. Very smart idea. I think you'll find you have trouble keeping your hibicus alive without additional lights though.

Hibiscus needs a LOT of light. You'll either have to get it outside in the sun regularly or do what I did, and get a fluorescent plant light. I think your chameleon would appreciate the extra light too. I got mine from Lee Valley. They sell a T5 fixture with plant bulb for about $30 for the 22" bulb length. I used 2 of these fixtures in my 36" x 24" x 48" enclosure with a hibiscus and ficus. These plants have been in there for a year and are growing well and the hibiscus flowers regularly. A lot of members have trouble keeping hibiscus alive indoors. Without a good plant light, it will likely not survive.

Indeed.

Also, you will get a much better distribution of light by placing the UVB across the middle of the enclosure, diagonally preferably.

You should be using a temp gun to measure the animals surface temp, and that of the metal under the basking light. Aside from that, its useless. You need to know your ambient temps under the basking light, and throughout the enclosure. This will require a different instrument. They have probed ones that do RH and temp at most any pet store for $20.

Its hard to tell, but I cant see a proper basking perch under the basking light. Make sure the animal has something on the larger and sturdier side to sit on to bask. Like the vine hes on in the video.

Cutting the tubes was not the best of ideas. :eek:

You want the enclosure as high up as possible. Id recommend getting some same-diameter PVC pipe and extending the stand up as much as you can manage. This will cause nasty water to splash out with your current drainage bin. Id recommend getting a taller one. It will guard any splashes, and be much easier to carry out and empty, as you could let it get more full than your current one could possibly hold, and still carry it easily. ;)

what's the size of your cages, crazy eye chameleon guy has a great system

Two of them are possibly M or L zoomed reptibreeze (I tried to go online to look at the dimensions but just can't tell:confused:). I got them start of this season after the 2 newer chameleons outgrew the smaller cages. The other is either a L or M and small reptibreeze combination so its taller. That one I will be replacing w a DYI large but not sure if I want to be lifting it at all especially after it is set up its bulky enough empty.

I will look into the plant light. I have had no problems yet with the hibiscus, in fact it has flowered 3 times so far and has buds for more flowers.

Back
Top Bottom